Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
Kitty

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by Kitty »

This is a cute Coronet about being trustworthy. I think they should have given more examples about why the boy might not have been in the running this time around. The boy had a bad day, perhaps that was why he was late today and forgot to fix the lamp his mother wanted fixing.
Am I Trustworthy? (1950)
https://youtu.be/TLwnaDA4mL0
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am
This one is pretty funny—especially the middle part where he collapses at the party. This features Dick York, who would go on to fame as Darrin in Bewitched.
Rest and Health (1949)
It was so interesting to see Dick York - the better Darrin - so young! He was 24 in this! It was strange to hear his voice so soft.

Now, about the video. Tom (the friend) is just soooooo perfect, isn't he, with his utterly perfect regimen. He came off as kind of pompous.
Actually, this might put a damper on this one, but it sure seems like young York is under a lot of pressure, isn't he? He's tired because he's all work and no play. (It makes Jack a dull boy, you know.) Sue is kind of a poop, too, though, because I think I'd have at least tried to wake him up. :lol: I guess it depends on how serious they were and how well they knew each other. Maybe I would have left.

There are some good points in this, too. I've been trying to get up early, and when I do get up early, I don't stay in bed long. I try to keep my mind active, and by the time I go home, I want to go to sleep. On my days off, I try to do the same thing, but definitely do things that I enjoy and have been neglecting. I've been more conscious of that lately, and I've been getting stuff done because of it, and feel better during the day, too.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:27 am
It was so interesting to see Dick York - the better Darrin - so young! He was 24 in this! It was strange to hear his voice so soft.
He seems even younger, doesn't he? I assumed he was still in his teens when he made this. Yes, he did have a very high voice.
Kitty wrote:
Sue is kind of a poop, too, though, because I think I'd have at least tried to wake him up. :lol: I guess it depends on how serious they were and how well they knew each other. Maybe I would have left.
I remember laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair the first time I saw that. :lol:
Kitty wrote:
There are some good points in this, too. I've been trying to get up early, and when I do get up early, I don't stay in bed long. I try to keep my mind active, and by the time I go home, I want to go to sleep. On my days off, I try to do the same thing, but definitely do things that I enjoy and have been neglecting. I've been more conscious of that lately, and I've been getting stuff done because of it, and feel better during the day, too.
Yes, there are good points in almost all of them. I've been trying to work on my sleep patterns, too. I've been trying to go to bed by 9:30 and be up by 6 or so. That's been a pretty big challenge for me, because I've always been a night owl by nature. But yes, you do get more done by getting up earlier (though I'm still not where I want to be in that process, either, but working on it :) ).

I was trying to figure out from this video what the "ideal" bedtime for young people at that time would have been considered to be. He tried going to bed once at like 8:30?, and that bombed. And what is the "correct" bedtime he finally arrives at? 10:30?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 pm
Well, it's time to post this classic. Love the music in this one.
Tea Making Tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvYymrCn4g
I noticed I didn't watch this one either. What a very informative video! One forgets in this day and age that it was the norm to seep the tea leaves loose in the water. I liked the idea about the burlap sack to seep the tea in. Obviously an early form of what we have today.

There sure was a lot of skill in making good tea and coffee back then! If you didn't have anyone to show you, I'd imagine that it might take quite a while to learn how to be a good housewife in those days.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am
I remember laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair the first time I saw that. :lol:
:lol:
donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am

I was trying to figure out from this video what the "ideal" bedtime for young people at that time would have been considered to be. He tried going to bed once at like 8:30?, and that bombed. And what is the "correct" bedtime he finally arrives at? 10:30?
I'm not quite sure what time his correct bedtime was, but you're probably right. He was up by 6:45, so that would give him 8 hours or so.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am
I noticed I didn't watch this one either. What a very informative video! Glad you liked it. :D
Oh, you'd never watched this one? Yes, it's a classic, one of my favorites. :D This was obviously made during WWII, and I think is aimed mainly at training those who are going to be serving tea in large quantities to soldiers and war-affected civilians, too. I guess that "Tea Revives You" slogan was used as a morale-booster.
Kitty wrote:
One forgets in this day and age that it was the norm to seep the tea leaves loose in the water.
That's the way I brew mine every day! :D Though bags are more convenient, I've found that loose leaf tea has so much more flavor.
Kitty wrote:
There sure was a lot of skill in making good tea and coffee back then! If you didn't have anyone to show you, I'd imagine that it might take quite a while to learn how to be a good housewife in those days.
I guess girls learned by observing their mothers mostly in those days. And then later there were home economics classes (which have almost all been done away with now :( ).
[/quote]
Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 am
This is a cute Coronet about being trustworthy. I think they should have given more examples about why the boy might not have been in the running this time around. The boy had a bad day, perhaps that was why he was late today and forgot to fix the lamp his mother wanted fixing.
Yes, but whatever his failures in the past might have been, he sure makes a miraculous transformation. That father really has the touch! I like the way he doesn't yell at Eddie for not fixing the lamp—that gives him a chance to talk to Eddie on a friendly basis.

On Eddie's trustworthiness list, I was feeling pretty good about myself until the last item, Be on Time. Uh oh. Well, 3 out of 4 isn't too bad. :D

I actually had a little trouble concentrating on the story because I kept noticing that strange projection on the back of Eddie's head. He's in bad need of either a haircut, or some styling gel (real strong styling gel), or both. :lol:

The introductory music on this one was also strange. (I mean strange for this type of film.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:16 am
Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 am
Oh, I forgot to comment on the strange front door they had. It appeared to be two real doors, rather than a light screen or glass door and a regular door.

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is one of my favorites because it’s well-made, and seems somehow just pleasant to watch. :) I like Don and Sue, and also the way the tag-team narration is done.

How does the girl’s makeup routine compare to what is usual today?

How to Be Well Groomed (1949)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjduGaMZvR4

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:50 pm
This is one of my favorites because it’s well-made, and seems somehow just pleasant to watch. :) I like Don and Sue, and also the way the tag-team narration is done.

How does the girl’s makeup routine compare to what is usual today?

How to Be Well Groomed (1949)
This is a super cute one. I agree with you on how nice it is to have dual points of view with the narration.
Seems to me that Sue and Don need their own irons! Put it on the Christmas list, you two! :lol:

Sue's makeup routine is very basic, and I think is what most women do on a daily basis. Some women add mascara and/or eyeliner to their basic makeup routine, though eyeliner can be tricky.

Some women spend lots of time on their face in the morning. They'll use primer, foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick. There's even eyelid primer and lip primer. And this list isn't even a full list, as today's beauty consultants put lots of emphasis on protecting your skin from the stuff you're putting on your face, so there are a few more things on top of that even, if you wanted to go all out.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is a good one. How Do You Know It's Love? (1950)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxYvICy29Pg

First of all, that picture of Nora as a baby is a boy. Did they really think we weren't going to notice? Well, they might not have back then, but I certainly did. :lol:

Also, why does she have a picture of the school football star in an album? She even said he probably didn't even know she existed, which signified to us that he did not give her that photo. :?

Is it weird that the boy's seemingly 25 year old brother still sleeps in the same room with him? He and his girlfriend seemed pretty mature, almost like a married couple. They were super cute together. It felt like they were going out to eat with a fun aunt and uncle.

Overall, I think this is a good video to get teens thinking about their feelings and try to sort them out. Everything is always so important in the moment, and you don't even realize. It's interesting that they use the term mature love instead of romantic love.