Who's on the banner?

Brand new to silents? Wondering where to start? This section has quick, bite-size info on films, performers, directors, etc.

Moderator: BettyLouSpence

BettyLouSpence

Who's on the banner?

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Hey everyone! Starting from today, the forums banner will change every month, featuring some people from the silent era. If you're still seeing the old banner, clear your browsers cache.

For the month of June, I decided to feature five women who, in attaining success during the silent era, broke barriers for their respective race/ethnicity in representation on screen. From left to right: Dolores del Río, Kathryn Boyd (best known for her role in The Flying Ace (1926), a film with an all black cast produced by Norman Studios), Red Wing (born Lillian St. Cyr; one of the first Native Americans to star in a feature film), Anna May Wong, and Josephine Baker.

banner.gif
banner.gif (189.74 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Who's on the banner?

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I Love it, noticed right away I did I did. Very thrilled to see Anna May Wong especially.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

For the month of July, the banner's taking on a summer theme - specifically at the beach! From left to right, the various silent stars having fun in the sun are: Ricardo Cortez in the lost Feet of Clay, Marie Prevost enjoying the sea breeze, Buster Keaton in Hard Luck, Louise Brooks with a cup of tea, and Phyllis Haver giving a piggyback ride to Gloria Swanson in her Sennett days.

image.gif
image.gif (208 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, wow! I had no idea that was Gloria!!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Looks great! :) I'd been meaning to ask who the first two were.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Lovely banner again. Marie Prevost looks so modern to me. And Louise Brooks is timeless. Gloria Swanson doesn't look like herself, she is much happier than we usually see her.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

We're crazy about flappers this August! Let's daydream about ice cream and a Black Bottom contest at the dance hall, a trip to Coney Island, rolled stockings and bobbed hair, and of course a night at the pictures! From left to right, Alice White looking coy, Olive Borden living up to her nickname of Joy Girl for Photoplay magazine, It girl Clara Bow in a saucy pose from The Fleet's In, Colleen Moore rouging up her lips, and a surprise second appearance by a very bedazzled Phyllis Haver.

image.gif
image.gif (195.14 KiB) Viewed 3413 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

So awesome! I especially love the Olive Borden one!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Nice work! :D

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:35 pm
So awesome! I especially love the Olive Borden one!!
Me too! she looks so fresh and natural compared to the rest of the gals, well they are all posing and trying to look coy or some come hither looks!