Advertising Mascots

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Advertising Mascots

Post by donnie »

I didn't even recognize that it was a doughnut. :oops: And I noticed the hole on the side, even. I guess "spud" is what threw me. I thought it was some kind of tater tot or something. Well, if spuds can be cigarettes, I guess they can be doughnuts. :?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Not sure why she's infatuated with a can opener...but she's a peach of a peach. :D
Attachments
67193277_2624945620848960_5230851883958009856_o.jpg
67193277_2624945620848960_5230851883958009856_o.jpg (288.8 KiB) Viewed 4368 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Did you hear that they retired the image of the native American on the Land O' Lakes butter and PepsiCo is now retiring the Aunt Jemima brand?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:01 pm
Did you hear that they retired the image of the native American on the Land O' Lakes butter and PepsiCo is now retiring the Aunt Jemima brand?
No, I had not heard that. I can kind of understand Aunt Jemima being retired. In fact, I remember seeing that label in past years and being a little surprised they still used that mascot.

With the Land O'Lakes logo, I wasn't as sure what the objection would be. But I did a little reading up on that and learned that the label had actually been changed back in February, though it seems to be being noticed only now.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm
I can kind of understand Aunt Jemima being retired. In fact, I remember seeing that label in past years and being a little surprised they still used that mascot.
I definitely understand that it has to be done, but I have such an affinity for mascots that I feel a sort of loss, as well as with the change of the Land O' Lakes logo.
donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm
With the Land O'Lakes logo, I wasn't as sure what the objection would be. But I did a little reading up on that and learned that the label had actually been changed back in February, though it seems to be being noticed only now.
I think that the previous supplies that were already shipped are now diminishing, and more of the new logo is surfacing. There are still some selections that she still appears on boxes, but I think this lovely "vanishing american" will vanish altogether soon.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I heard the news about Aunt Jemima being retired, and can also understand why. I wonder what the new name and image will be. It looks like Uncle Ben may be getting an update as well.

I hadn't heard about the Land O' Lakes mascot being dropped, though thinking back I do remember seing the new boxes with just the logo and no mascot.

I also read up on the history of the Land O' Lakes mascot. I understand that the pose, etc. may bother some, but I think it's a shame she's being removed altogether. She was redesigned in the 1950s by Red Lake Ojibwe artist Patrick DesJarlait, with her clothes and patterns reflecting specific Ojibwe styles. His son wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post here.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 pm
I also read up on the history of the Land O' Lakes mascot. I understand that the pose, etc. may bother some, but I think it's a shame she's being removed altogether. She was redesigned in the 1950s by Red Lake Ojibwe artist Patrick DesJarlait, with her clothes and patterns reflecting specific Ojibwe styles. His son wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post here.
That's an excellent article.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 pm
It looks like Uncle Ben may be getting an update as well.
I wondered about Uncle Ben.

donnie

Post by donnie »

On a more cheerful note, here's The Drop Man, a former mascot of ESSO Oil Company. How could you be in a bad mood looking at this little guy? :D
Attachments
ae790e768dcd57c3ada8c7a1f2822004.jpg
ae790e768dcd57c3ada8c7a1f2822004.jpg (75.1 KiB) Viewed 3847 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's awesome!