Popeye The Sailor Man

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Re: Popeye The Sailor Man

Post by Kitty »

April Foooool!!!! Why does he even like Olive, anyway?
Kitty wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 am
Here's one for April Fool's Day! Saw this a million years ago when Boomerang played a 24 hr marathon of Popeye one time. Cookin' With Gags.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-acrA5iEzI
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, it was Apr. 3rd before I got around to finally watching, but I enjoyed this one. :D Especially the spring on the axe and the scissors-forming bee swarm. If I were Popeye, I would let Bluto have Olive—they deserve each other. :lol:

And where do you buy explosive hotdogs? :?: :ugeek:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 pm
And where do you buy explosive hotdogs? :?: :ugeek:
In the cartoon world, especially in the early years, the sky was the limit with the things that could blow up! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mv08o

Have you ever heard of Eugene the Jeep? On Antiques Roadshow, someone brought a Eugene the Jeep toy and I had to look him up. He's cute.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Sure! You didn't know about Eugene? (Or New-gene, as I think Popeye called him.) He was a great character. Was the one on AR a stuffed one?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:44 am
Sure! You didn't know about Eugene? (Or New-gene, as I think Popeye called him.) He was a great character. Was the one on AR a stuffed one?
I didn't!! I'm not sure what it was made of, but it was a hard material and from the 30s.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 am
Here's one for April Fool's Day! Saw this a million years ago when Boomerang played a 24 hr marathon of Popeye one time. Cookin' With Gags.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-acrA5iEzI
April Fooooool's!

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Love the early B&W Popeyes where it's just so off-the-wall. I heard somewhere that in those days the Fleischers worked on the principle of "If nothing funny is happening in the shot, why is the shot there?" But the best parts to me are the little stream-of-consciousness things Popeye mutters to himself.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:52 am
But the best parts to me are the little stream-of-consciousness things Popeye mutters to himself.
I think that's interesting, too! Betty Boop would sometimes do that, too.

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:52 am
But the best parts to me are the little stream-of-consciousness things Popeye mutters to himself.
Yes, I like those parts, too. :) The voice acting is good there.