The Mystery of the Circle

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

The Mystery of the Circle

Post by donnie »

Have y'all ever noticed a circle that appears briefly in the upper right of frames in many films? They're white, but kind of shaped like the mark when you've had a wet cup on a table. It's one of those things you see all the time, but are only subconsciously aware of it until you stop to think of it.

It could be some kind of damage or defect that occurs, or an editing mark; but I wonder if it might be a marking for projectionists—maybe an indicator of a reel change or something?

Screenshot I caught from Love Among the Millionaires, the Clara Bow talkie of 1930:
Attachments
screen-shot-2020-07-30-at-7_optimized.56.21-pm.png
screen-shot-2020-07-30-at-7_optimized.56.21-pm.png (358.67 KiB) Viewed 2165 times

Kitty

Re: The Mystery of the Circle

Post by Kitty »

I have never seen this at all. Strange!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Have you not? They do go by really fast, just a split-second flicker.

Edit: It seems I was right about their being projectionist cues: https://stason.org/TULARC/movies/curren ... r-rig.html
Last edited by donnie on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting! Maybe I have and just passed it off as damage.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Hey, good eye! I never noticed that before, and I've learned something new. I'm curious how reel changing worked in the theater. I guess the projectionist would preload the next reel?

Oh, and I have to be honest: I thought of a deep-fried donut when I saw that screenshot :lol:
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm
Hey, good eye! I never noticed that before, and I've learned something new. I'm curious how reel changing worked in the theater. I guess the projectionist would preload the next reel?
The link I gave explains the process—which sounds like a very exacting task!
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Oh, and I have to be honest: I thought of a deep-fried donut when I saw that screenshot :lol:
:lol: One coated with powdered sugar, no doubt. The lingo for them was "cigarette burns", apparently. That got me wondering if maybe, originally, they did use a lit cigarette to make the mark. Then I remembered—nitrate film. Nah, don't think so! :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 pm
The link I gave explains the process—which sounds like a very exacting task!
Thanks!
BettyLouSpence wrote:
...The lingo for them was "cigarette burns", apparently. That got me wondering if maybe, originally, they did use a lit cigarette to make the mark. Then I remembered—nitrate film. Nah, don't think so! :)
Well, maybe there was one particularly nooby fellow who tried that. Once. But he wasn't allowed near film ever again :lol:
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV