The Kinetophone: A Fact! A Reality!

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Re: The Kinetophone: A Fact! A Reality!

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm
Ah, this is the one Viola talked about in the Hollywood series. I can't remember if it was her sister Shirley or Edna who played the fairy, though.
Yes, I can’t remember which one it is, either. I don’t recall her mentioning that she herself was in it, but she apparently was.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm
Ah, this is the one Viola talked about in the Hollywood series. I can't remember if it was her sister Shirley or Edna who played the fairy, though.
Yes, I can’t remember which one it is, either. I don’t recall her mentioning that she herself was in it, but she apparently was.
According to Fritzi's Movies Silently review, officially Edna plays Little Miss Muffet and Shirley is the Queen of the Fairies. But due to their ages at the time (Edna was 20 and Shirley was 12), Fritzi believes that their credits may have been reversed. Miss Muffet does look closer to 12 compared to the Fairy Queen. Viola isn't mentioned as being in the short at all.

Fritzi also added this update concerning the sisters:
Update: Per the documentary So Amazingly Perfect They Are Really Weird, Edna’s presence is not confirmed but Shirley plays Jack the Giant Killer, which makes sense as she was a rather petite child and Jack is the shortest character.)
What do you think?
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have a rather large love of nursery rhymes, so this is kind of cool to me. Unfortunately, I can't really understand most of what they are singing. I wish they'd done this in a slightly different way.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I think Fritzi is probably right. I'm not sure how I got the idea Viola was in it. I know at least one website states that she is—but that site also has her as the fairy queen, and I'm sure that's not right, as she clearly stated in Hollywood that her sister played that part. I have a vague idea that something in the dvd information stated that all three were in it—but I could be wrong. At any rate, I've sold the dvd, so no way to check.