What Talkies Are You Watching?

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
BettyLouSpence

Re: What Talkies Are You Watching?

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I watched Het meisje met de blauwe hoed (The girl with the blue hat), a 1934 romantic comedy with Truus van Aalten as the title character. It's available to watch on YouTube in great condition from the EYE Filmmuseum's official channel. There are no subtitles, unfortunately, but even though I can't speak Dutch, after reading the description I was able to enjoy the film all the same. I hope the same will be true for others.

This was my first time seeing Truus van Aalten in anything. I'd known about her for years actually, and liked to peruse her fansite every now and then. Unfortunately I don't think it's up anymore.

Het meisje met de blauwe hoed on YouTube

Description:
Romantic comedy in which a soldier falls in love with a flighty girl.

Daantje Peters is the son of a grocer from Schoonhoven who, during his time as an army conscript, meets Betsy, the girl in the blue hat. In spite of the warnings from his 'roomie' Toontje, he asks Betsy to marry him. It soon dawns on Betsy that Daan is far too stuffy for her and she ends the engagement. She decides the army has far more exciting possibilities to offer for a girl like her.

The female lead in the film is played by Truus van Aalten, a Dutch actress who shot to fame in Germany at the end of the 1920s and who appeared in over twenty (UFA) films, usually taking on the role of a lively young girl who gets herself into all sorts of comical scrapes. Het meisje in de blauwe hoed was to be the only film she ever made on her native soil. The screenplay was based on Johan Fabricius' book of the same title.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's one I'm definitely going to try to watch.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I recently watched Just Imagine (1930), a really weird picture when you come right down to it. It's a science-fiction musical comedy set in the distant future of 1980, where food and drink is all in pill form, everyone drives personal airplanes, and people's names have been replaced by sequences of letters and numbers.

As for marriage in 1980, it's a process where male suitors can file an application to marry the woman of their choice, which the woman can either allow or refuse. If she allows more than one application, the government decides which man would make a better husband, which has a lot to do with notoriety. Furthermore, once a tribunal rules in favor of one suitor, the other one is forbidden to see her, even if he is taking the case up on appeal. This is the problem faced by our hero, named J-21 (John Garrick). His inamorata LN-18 (Maureen O'Sullivan), at her father's insistence, has allowed a wealthy and influential man to file an application to marry her. Although LN really loves J, they both know his application is doomed because he's a nobody.

Meanwhile, J and his best friend witness a public demonstration in which a goofy Swedish guy who died of a lightning strike in 1930 is brought back to life by weird scientific apparatus (which would be reused the following year in Universal's Frankenstein). They befriend Goofy Swedish Guy, who gives himself the futuristic name Single-O and proceeds to ingest way too many booze pills.

Through a drunken indiscretion of Single-O, Rich Guy learns that J has been secretly and unlawfully meeting with LN. Despondent for his future, J wanders the streets until he learns that a famous scientist named Z-4 is looking for a volunteer to fly a new rocket he built for the first-ever trip to Mars. Knowing that this is his only chance for notoriety, J agrees to make the trip, and Best Friend decides to go with him. After they take off in the rocket (which would later be used as Dr. Zarkov's ship in Flash Gordon), they learn that Single-O has stowed away in it.

The three of them travel to Mars, which is populated by two odd tribes that are doppelgängers of each other, one friendly and the other hostile. After a series of misadventures that are too stupid to relate, but which include a bunch of dancers climbing up on a big idol and swaying around (in footage that would be reused 6 years later in Flash Gordon), the three return to Earth just as J's appeal is being heard. Best Friend's girlfriend has been stalling for time by trying to convince the judge that Rich Guy is the deadbeat father of her child, when J bursts in and says he's just come back from Mars. Sadly, however, he has no proof because they had to leave in a hurry, fleeing pursuit by the hostile Martian tribe. But luckily, Single-O saves the day by
► Show Spoiler
As I say, a weird, weird movie. It's on YouTube if you want to see it. You probably don't, but if I'm wrong about that, enjoy a strange couple of hours.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've seen this film!!! After the Swedish guy is revived, they give him a tour of what it's like in now. A married couple decides to have a baby, and now, in 1980, they come out of a vending machine. The Swedish guy says "Ah! Give me the good old days!" He says this a few times during his tour. Very strange film, but totally worth the watch if you like weird stuff. I love oddities, and I'll never forget it if not for that "dirty" precode joke.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:30 pm
I've seen this film!!! After the Swedish guy is revived, they give him a tour of what it's like in now. A married couple decides to have a baby, and now, in 1980, they come out of a vending machine. The Swedish guy says "Ah! Give me the good old days!" He says this a few times during his tour. Very strange film, but totally worth the watch if you like weird stuff. I love oddities, and I'll never forget it if not for that "dirty" precode joke.
Oh, yes, forgot about that. Also should have commented on the special effects, where you can see the cityscape of flying vehicles outside windows and such. Apparently some of that footage was reused in the 1939 Buck Rogers serial. This movie is probably best known for the stuff that was used in more famous films later!
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)