Brand New Radio Station - (Now Defunct ☹️)

Kitty

Brand New Radio Station - (Now Defunct ☹️)

Post by Kitty »

This is a brand new radio station that was just launched today. You can even look at the schedule. It's a little confusing, because the times are London time, but it's easily figured out when you know that they're 5 hours ahead of us.
These are beautiful quality shows, definitely worth the listen. It's not just drama, either, for some of the schedule is quiz programs and comedy. Give this a try. Very cool stuff.
https://www.classicdramaradio.co.uk/
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Brand New Radio Station

Post by Kitty »

I posted a bad link before, but now it's fixed. You can even look at the schedule for the week; They will add the next week every Sunday, I believe. Remember, the schedule is London time, but it's easy to figure out when you know that we are 5 hours behind them.
There are tons of shows I've never even heard of, and love that it's so easy to sample them in amazing quality without having to go through the trouble if downloading.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here is one of the interesting programs that played today. It will also play 6 PM Eastern Daylight Time. Just days after the death of Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel did an in depth interview talking about his history in movies. It's so interesting hearing him name drop old silent film stars, such as Theda Bara and Bronco Billy Andersen. This one is a can't miss. You can listen at your convenience here: https://archive.org/details/StanLaurel1 ... 7Interview, but I highly recommend checking out the station.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the Stan Laurel link. I downloaded it and will listen later.

The station looks to have a lot of interesting programming—I'd like to check out one of those Five Minute Mysteries. But it's hard to catch things like that at a particular time. I guess we're spoiled these days in our content-on-demand world. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:37 pm
Thanks for the Stan Laurel link. I downloaded it and will listen later.

The station looks to have a lot of interesting programming—I'd like to check out one of those Five Minute Mysteries. But it's hard to catch things like that at a particular time. I guess we're spoiled these days in our content-on-demand world. :)
Well set an alarm! Ugh! :lol: actually I've been listening all day today. I think I missed one show today. It's so fun, and people discuss it on Facebook.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Just listened to the Stan Laurel interview. That was so interesting. :) It's amazing how many twists and turns his career took. You can see from this why so many of the old timers were so good—they gained so many different kinds of experience in so many different places in front of live audiences.

I'd heard, but had forgotten, that he always answered every fan letter—a delightful man. This made me think also of Dick Van Dyke—he and Laurel were close friends, and Van Dyke regarded Laurel as his mentor.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:06 pm
This made me think also of Dick Van Dyke—he and Laurel were close friends, and Van Dyke regarded Laurel as his mentor.
I didn't know that!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2021/0 ... ama-radio/

I wrote a blog post on the station. What do you think?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Very nice write-up! I’m going to download the iOS app.

Some of those shows I didn’t realize had existed on radio (such as You Bet Your Life.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm
Very nice write-up! I’m going to download the iOS app.

Some of those shows I didn’t realize had existed on radio (such as You Bet Your Life.)
You Bet Your Life is every bit as fantastic on radio as on the show ---- maybe even more so! I'm actually really becoming interested in Groucho. Always thought he was weird because of pictures I've seen of him, but he was really an American treasure.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the compliment! Glad it prompted you to get the app. :)