Welcome to the wonderful world of silent film! This is the first in a series of threads aimed at people who are totally new to the medium. This crash course, presented in a Q&A format, will cover topics such as:
- The different decades of the silent era - the beginnings from the 1880s to the 1900s, the 1910s, the 1920s, and the coming of sound
- Different genres and styles, and some examples of those films - serials, German Expressionism, comedy and slapstick, drama, action/adventure, etc.
- Actors and actresses - not only the most famous names in silent Hollywood, but the most groundbreaking individuals of various genres, races/ethnicities, etc.
- Directors - the most prominent and innovative directors, and what they brought to the table concerning techniques, style, etc.
- A peek at the technical sides of things - the many different color film processes, how they tinted scenes, how they made intertitles, etc.
- And more!
Finally, this series is open to improvement. Any feedback should be posted in the suggestions thread. I'll freely admit, I'm not an expert on silent film; far from it. I just want to spread the word about this wonderful medium and period of film history.