Silent Film 101 - Welcome!

Brand new to silents? Wondering where to start? This section has quick, bite-size info on films, performers, directors, etc.

Moderator: BettyLouSpence

BettyLouSpence

Silent Film 101 - Welcome!

Post by BettyLouSpence »

So, you wanna be a rock 'n' roll star silent film fan? Perhaps you caught part of a silent on TCM or somewhere similar, and that's where it began. Or maybe you were drawn to a screen personality from whom you couldn't tear your eyes away.

Welcome to the wonderful world of silent film! This is the first in a series of threads aimed at people who are totally new to the medium. This crash course, presented in a Q&A format, will cover topics such as:

• The different decades of the silent era - the beginnings from the 1880s to the 1900s, the 1910s, the 1920s, and the coming of sound
  • Different genres and styles, and some examples of those films - serials, German Expressionism, comedy and slapstick, drama, action/adventure, etc.
  • Actors and actresses - not only the most famous names in silent Hollywood, but the most groundbreaking individuals of various genres, races/ethnicities, etc.
  • Directors - the most prominent and innovative directors, and what they brought to the table concerning techniques, style, etc.
  • A peek at the technical sides of things - the many different color film processes, how they tinted scenes, how they made intertitles, etc.
  • And more!

Finally, this series is open to improvement. Any feedback should be posted in the suggestions thread. I'll freely admit, I'm not an expert on silent film; far from it. I just want to spread the word about this wonderful medium and period of film history. So if I get anything wrong, please, do not hesitate to let me know.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV