1920s Movie Star Fashion

Let's talk about, appreciate, and critique the fashions and lifestyles of the past!
BettyLouSpence

1920s Movie Star Fashion

Post by BettyLouSpence »

A place to share photos of silent stars showing off fashions from the 1920s!

Olive Borden models this ensemble that I want to say is from 1927: a ruffled blouse, a skirt that falls just below the knees, a soft cardigan with a corsage; a slightly off center cloche hat with a wide ribbon (I don't think Olive had bobber her hair at this time); and shoes that appear to have a rose pattern on the toes. What do you think? :D

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: 1920s Movie Star Fashion

Post by donnie »

Good idea for a thread!

I don't always pay much attention to clothes, but I have say that is a really beautiful ensemble, isn't it? To me, this photo really exemplifies the elements that were most attractive in that '20's look.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:57 pm
I don't always pay much attention to clothes, but I have say that is a really beautiful ensemble, isn't it? To me, this photo really exemplifies the elements that were most attractive in that '20's look.
Isn't it?! I love the single earring on display; as the only jewelry visible, it provides a really lovely focal point.

donnie

Post by donnie »

And the folds of the clothing are attractive, and the way the cloche hat is kind of tilted to the side.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love the ruffles on the dress, and it looks like those shoes would have been really pretty.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:27 pm
I love the ruffles on the dress, and it looks like those shoes would have been really pretty.
Yes, ruffles is what I was trying to say when I called them "folds." :? :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Here's a photo of Evelyn Brent in the late 20s. That may be the date in the upper left hand corner, but for the life of me I can't really read it :? That might be a '25' in the middle but I can't tell (it'd be in the wrong place to denote the year, anyway). Judging by the length of the skirt, I think this is from around the same time as the Olive Borden photo.

Looks like a nice, simple outfit for summer: a short sleeve, dark colored V-neck blouse with a lighter colored stripe following the neckline, a light colored skirt with a single pleat visible from this angle (there's likely a second in front); a dark colored cloche hat with what looks to be a metal, possibly jeweled brooch; light colored shoes with dark metal buckles; and to complete the look, what seems to me to be a big, feathered fan, which would be perfect for those hot summer days in the era before widespread A/C.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think it says 7/25/27.

I love the whole ensemble, but I especially love the hat and shoes!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Thanks! I guess for some reason the date is reversed.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 pm
Thanks! I guess for some reason the date is reversed.
I don't know the reason, but I've noticed that writing is reversed on old photos a lot.