Paris Fashions 1909

Let's talk about, appreciate, and critique the fashions and lifestyles of the past!
Mrs. Danvers

Paris Fashions 1909

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Don't know what I love more, the elaborate dresses and coats or even just the hats alone are spectacular. All those feathers!!!

https://youtu.be/_pQGweZK6jU
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

BettyLouSpence

Re: Paris Fashions 1909

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I have a lot of favorites in this one! For one, I'm in love with a lot of the prints. The ones on display at 1:07 are a good example (especially the two on the right), as is the one at 0:48 (the white dress with the dark print on the bust, entering the frame on the left). And I love the dress on the right at 0:29.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:21 pm
I have a lot of favorites in this one! For one, I'm in love with a lot of the prints. The ones on display at 1:07 are a good example (especially the two on the right), as is the one at 0:48 (the white dress with the dark print on the bust, entering the frame on the left). And I love the dress on the right at 0:29.
I like them too, I am becoming more fascinated by the Big Hats all the time at, 1:53 the gal on the left wearing a white dress and a HUGE white hat, some of the hats are almost comically large.

The 4 ladies at 1:07 you mentioned, I love the third one on the right, the one with the large striped skirt, reminds of a killer striped outfit Gloria Swanson wore in a movie with Valentino I believe it was, can't remember the name of the film. Was it Beyond the Rocks? she wore a huge hat too that matched. Found it, the movie was Madame Sans-Gene 1925. I was way off base there.

I love this hat.
Madame Sans.jpg
Madame Sans.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The mood at 5:20 is so different from the rest of the reel. You notice the vibe is so much more tense and serious. No one is smiling. Wonder what was going on there? At 6:04, what type of instrument are they carrying? Are those tiny harps inside those cases?
I loved the big hats, and there was one smart suit in particular that I liked, the one wearing the darker clothing in the 6:04 scene.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

mishaladem

Post by mishaladem »

Paris is always recognized for its fashion. It is an amazing blog I have read it it's very useful and informative.