The Virginian

Kitty

The Virginian

Post by Kitty »

I watched an episode of The Virginian which aired in 1970. It was the S8E19 one called A Time of Terror.

This was the first episode I have ever seen of The Virginian, and this episode is terrible.
The family is held hostage in their own house by a sister and two brothers who are seeking revenge for their parents death. The entire time they are held at gunpoint while waiting for a friend of the main family to come so he can also atone.

None of it makes much sense, and early on in the episode I was left asking why. This is never a good sign with any type of fiction story. I always say that there is a major flaw in something if I am left asking why a character chose to do something and can't come up with any answers.

The younger of the criminal siblings is extremely annoying. Their motive is very flim-flam and weak. I honestly can't believe this episode was an hour long.... There was about 15 minutes of material in it. And the way the boy was talking to the man's wife....he didn't even protest to it!! What kind of man is he, what kind of husband is he to not even make a peep when his wife was being ordered around and spoken to like a slave?! Just ew.

Maybe it's just because it was a very late episode. I suppose it must have been an ok show in its hey day if it was on for 9 years, but this one was not.

By the way, this episode guest starred Joseph Cotten.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: The Virginian

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

At least you had the pleasure of seeing Joseph Cotton. :D
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am
I don't know.... He was old and the make up man made him look puffy and white. A far cry from his better looking younger days. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:27 am
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am
I don't know.... He was old and the make up man made him look puffy and white. A far cry from his better looking younger days. :lol:
That's a shame, I just took a gander at an old Joseph Cotton, he was puffy and pale.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

I can't remember if I ever saw an episode of The Virginian. I thought I had at first, but I think I'm confusing it with The Big Valley.