1921/2021 Forum Watchfest

Watch-fests and Events
Kitty

Re: 1921/2021 Forum Watchfest

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm
Looks like she chose the car because she saw it parked in front of a wealthy house, and assumed it belonged to the homeowners.
I know that, but the assumption was not a very good one. He'd have been better off at an orphanage if, as we see later, they would ultimately take the child away from them, anyway. Her assumption is also assuming that they are kind wealthy people, or even wanting to take care of a baby. I guess she was just thinking the best of people.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm
Looks like she chose the car because she saw it parked in front of a wealthy house, and assumed it belonged to the homeowners.
I know that, but the assumption was not a very good one. He'd have been better off at an orphanage if, as we see later, they would ultimately take the child away from them, anyway. Her assumption is also assuming that they are kind wealthy people, or even wanting to take care of a baby. I guess she was just thinking the best of people.
Yeah, probably would've been better to leave him at an orphanage or police/fire station (I know this was decades before the first safe haven laws, but...). I'll just assume those places were too crowded for her to leave him there anonymously to begin with :lol:
"Some people travel through life making friends wherever they go, while others — just travel through life." ~ Go West (1925)

donnie

Post by donnie »

My comments on this one:
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Donnie, I am surprised at your rating! You make some really great points, though, and I understand. At the end, I never gave it much thought, and automatically supposed that he was just going to live there and she was going to take them both in, but that wouldn't really paint Charlie as such a favorable guy, after all. Come to think of it, he easily could have gotten a real job through all this.
Getting off topic a tad, I understand not really like Chaplin as much as, say, Buster Keaton, but I am curious what you don't like about him? You always see people gushing about Chaplin, I'm guessing because his films were so easily accessible in the 70s when this type of preservation started to widely take hold of people's interest. I personally have always liked Buster more than Chappy, too.
I very often think that it's a shame that so many silent film buffs go to the same old people as favorites, as if there were only a handful of 'good' actors in the silent era. We on this forum understand that this just isn't so, but, as I said, some popularity is due to the fact that so much of the work of certain big names were easily accessible to the public.
As for this film, I think Jackie is its staying power. Bless you, little boy, may you forever be that sweet little 5 year old in our hearts.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:57 pm
Getting off topic a tad, I understand not really like Chaplin as much as, say, Buster Keaton, but I am curious what you don't like about him?
I'm not sure I can answer that totally, there are just some styles, personalities you like more than others. But for one thing, I've just never thought his material quite as funny as that of some of the other silent comedians.

Thinking about it, though, here's another thing. It's hard for me to be enthusiastic about a comedian unless I like the character, and in the case of the little tramp (and I'm speaking here of the character, of course, not Chaplin the man) , it seems I can sense a bit of an unpleasant mean streak there beneath the hijinks. There's not that in the personas of other silent comedians I can think of. Even the Keystone ones who get mad on the spur of the moment and throw bricks don't really have that sly, secretive mean streak (unless they're really over-the-top Ford Sterling villain types :D).

This does not apply, though, to the Chaplin character in this film. Here he's entirely likable—there's some rogue-like dishonesty and mischievousness there, but no mean streak. I think that has a lot to do with the character's obvious love for the child and with their relationship. I think that really works to temper his character.

And it's not really that I dislike Chaplin, it's just that I've never liked him well enough to generally go out of my way to watch his films. I will go out of my way to watch Keaton, Lloyd (especially!), Langdon, Charley Chase, or any of the Keystone crowd.

Good point about it being a shame that the silent era just means a few iconic actors to so many people. I think you're right about the access to them in the '70's bringing some of that about.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:19 pm
And it's not really that I dislike Chaplin, it's just that I've never liked him well enough to generally go out of my way to watch his films. I will go out of my way to watch Keaton, Lloyd (especially!), Langdon, Charley Chase, or any of the Keystone crowd.
You have interesting insight. Thanks for answering in such depth. I also don't really think the tramp character is hilarious, either. Come to think of it, I don't know if I ever have actually laughed out loud at anything the tramp has done, but I definitely have laughed at Harold Lloyd and Keaton. I am not familiar enough with Langdon and Chase to have done so with them.

Side note - I used to babysit a four year old (he's probably about 21 now! Shocking how time flies!) and I played this film for him. He thought the tramp was hilarious; I was pleasantly surprised that he was so interested in my silent film. When I told his parents, they told me "Oh, yeah! He loves to watch old slapstick. We watch Abbott and Costello and he loves it!" Hope he still has at least a mild interest as an adult. :) Isn't it funny how a child can live on forever in your memory as just a little tyke, but, of course, they're all grown up? Getting way way way off topic, he also loved Young Frankenstein, particularly Igor.

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a nice memory. :) Lots of children respond to silent comedy. I can see why the tramp's movements and mannerisms and antics would have entertained him.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Here's movie number three of the watchfest: The Three Musketeers, a swashbuckler starring Douglas Fairbanks. We'll have until June 21 to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSK1YDKvijk
"Some people travel through life making friends wherever they go, while others — just travel through life." ~ Go West (1925)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:19 pm
...and in the case of the little tramp (and I'm speaking here of the character, of course, not Chaplin the man) , it seems I can sense a bit of an unpleasant mean streak there beneath the hijinks...
It's interesting; one of the reasons I like what little I've seen of Chaplin's Mutuals and Essanays is because the Tramp is such a little troll (for example, in The Adventurer where he's constantly humiliating Eric Campbell's character; though it probably helps that Campbell was an antagonistic force who "deserved" being the butt of constant social blunders). That being said, Chaplin isn't my absolute favorite silent comedian and I can see why the Tramp's button-pushing and maybe even anti-social shenanigans can be off-putting (I can't help but stupidly giggle at the amount of butt-kicking, though).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's my review on The Three Musketeers
► Show Spoiler