BettyLouSpence

Re: 1921/2021 Forum Watchfest

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I watched Orphans of the Storm yesterday. My thoughts:
► Show Spoiler
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Comments on Orphans of the Storm
► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:40 am
Isn't this more of an indication of bad direction?
Yes, it is.
Kitty wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:40 am
I know you guys like Griffith, and I might be under fire for saying this, but I don't think he's really that great of a director.
I think Griffith was a great director in the larger sense—i.e., in terms of being a great innovator and visualizer of possibilities, and in his ability to conceive and implement what would make compelling drama. But in terms of directing specific acting in particular scenes, I do think he misjudged at moments and went too far into melodrama, as in that example Betty Lou mentioned.

Of course, the concept of the naturalistic acting we expect in films (as opposed to the over-sized histrionics required of the stage of that era) was just in its infancy. So maybe he didn't do all that poorly, considering the time frame and the background he was coming from. Still, I think a lot of the excellent acting in Griffith's films was probably due more to the talents of the likes of the Gish sisters than to Griffith's direction. At least that's my take on it (admitting I'm no expert on D.W., by a long shot.)