3. Why Change Your Wife?
4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
5. Something to Think About
6. The Love Expert
7. Way Down East
8. Excuse My Dust
9. Pollyanna
10. Suds

Soul of Youth takes the number one spot for me. I was hooked from the first scene. WCYW and Jekyll would be tied.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: 1920/2020 Forum Watch-Fest

Post by donnie »

We have a lot of similarity. I thought about putting Dust above Pollyanna. Then our 7-10 would have been exactly the same. Poor Mary is not faring too well. :cry: :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Yeah, Mary's films in this particular lineup weren't terribly strong. Cute, but not the best.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

I need to stop looking at my list. I'm tempted to start moving things around. :roll: :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have to admit that it was pretty hard to rank these! I'm going to have to leave mine at the the following:

1. The Soul of Youth
2. Pollyanna
3. The Mark of Zorro
4. Why Change Your Wife?
5. Way Down East
6. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
7. Something to Think About
8. Excuse My Dust
9. The Love Expert
10. Suds
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

We all agreed on No. 1 and No. 10. :D It's interesting you ranked Pollyanna higher. What special qualities about that film stood out for you? (I guess I could go back and find your original comments, but I'm lazy. 8-) )

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 pm
We all agreed on No. 1 and No. 10. :D It's interesting you ranked Pollyanna higher. What special qualities about that film stood out for you? (I guess I could go back and find your original comments, but I'm lazy. 8-) )
This was my first encounter with Pollyanna, so I didn't know it was like this. The 'Glad Game' gave me a really warm feeling and a fresh way of thinking. It was a tear-jerker, yet had an overall happy and light atmosphere. Pollyanna was a ray of light to everyone around her. (BTW, I read somewhere that Mary Pickford spent $125,000 to produce and star in this picture. Also, the book was only 7 years old at this point.) The movie filled me with happiness, and, actually, I'd love to read the book (if I ever get done with Hans Brinker :roll: Been hectic lately after going back to work.)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the explanation. It did indeed have a happy and light atmosphere. And I like that the 'Glad Game' gave us a refreshing reminder of having an attitude of thankfulness for what we have. That's so applicable for today!

As I think I commented earlier (too lazy to look for that, too :D), I think reading the book might clear up some of the seeming gaps or abrupt shifts in the plot. Also, a better score would have helped. You know how I am about scores. :)

I'm very interested in reading Hans Brinker, by the way, and plan to do that. Somehow I can't get geared up for reading a book about ice skating this time of year. :lol: Remind me when winter comes that I need to read that. ;)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am
I think reading the book might clear up some of the seeming gaps or abrupt shifts in the plot. Also, a better score would have helped. You know how I am about scores. :)
I liked the score a lot, though it didn't fit in a few places. I read a little blog post about Pollyanna the book, and there is definitely more to the story involving the people of the town.
donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am
I'm very interested in reading Hans Brinker, by the way, and plan to do that. Somehow I can't get geared up for reading a book about ice skating this time of year. :lol: Remind me when winter comes that I need to read that. ;)
I just finished this book a few minutes ago. It takes place in Holland in the winter, but, really, the ice skating is such a small part of it, contrary to what the cover and title might have us think. A review is to come, either tonight or tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to generalize and then mark some parts with spoilers if you want to read it!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 pm
A review is to come, either tonight or tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to generalize and then mark some parts with spoilers if you want to read it!
Don't change it for me—just write it as you would have, and I'll just cover my eyes when I'm on that part of the thread. :)