Trip to Norman Studios!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
Kitty

Trip to Norman Studios!

Post by Kitty »

I am super excited to announce that I'll be visiting this place at the end of the month! It is the only silent film facilities left in Jacksonville. It was established in 1916 as Eagle Films, and a few years later was purchased by Norman who began doing race films. It was the first film studios to show black people in a different light, doing normal things. They mostly did adventure films. I'm going to do a tour of the buildings! Here's some info on the place.

http://normanstudios.org
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Trip to Norman Studios!

Post by donnie »

That is fantastic! Image

I knew that Jacksonville was a pretty big center of silent film making—Miriam Cooper talked extensively about her experiences there in her autobiography, and I think Mabel Norman maybe worked there, too—but I didn’t know anything about the Norman Studios. That’s some fabulous history! I’m glad those students have done that work.

I want a full report of your trip! :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:46 pm

I want a full report of your trip! :D
I was going to do a blog post, and interestingly, the lady, Rita, had emailed me and asked if I wanted to! I'm so excited. She seems like a very nice person.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I am home from my trip! It was wonderful! As soon as I recouperate from the week, I will give a full report!

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D Looking forward to it!