Nursery Rhymes

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Nursery Rhymes

Post by Kitty »

So I'm watching Carson again, and Carol Wayne is talking about her little boy who is 2 and a half. She sings a cute little nursery rhyme that I'd never heard.
"Creepy crawlie little mousie from the barnie to the housie climbs in the cupboard and on the shelf finds some cheese and helps himself. Nibble nibble nibble!" it's a finger walking game that goes up the body and ends with a chin tickle.
Googling, I find that it was an old nursery rhyme, but everywhere I went, Pete Seeger was credited. I found an article talking about it.
https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

""Some of my best tunes I didn't write the tune or the song, but put them together," he says. "Quite often I didn't write the tune, but I amended it slightly."

It happened on a 1959 childrens' ditty called "Creepy Crawly Little Mousie." The words came from an old Scottish or English nursery rhyme, but he thought he made up the tune.

Thirty years later, folk song collector Frank Warner showed him the tune actually came from "Doodle Dandy," a marching song for George Washington's troops in 1776."

Unfortunately, I can't find any audio of him singing this. Has anyone else heard it?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Nursery Rhymes

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 am
Thirty years later, folk song collector Frank Warner showed him the tune actually came from "Doodle Dandy," a marching song for George Washington's troops in 1776."

Unfortunately, I can't find any audio of him singing this. Has anyone else heard it?
No, I'm not familiar with that, but I'd be interested in hearing it. :)