Book Reading

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
dachshundonstilts

Re: Book Reading

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Oh, wow! That's cool, about the books not the death. I'd have brought a suitcase if he had lots of antique books.
It's funny about that book. I visited the shop multiple times before I decided to finally purchase it. It turned out to have some amusing poems in it, but most were summer beach reads.
I actually had a cardboard box or two, so it was more than an armload. :)
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:14 pm
I actually had a cardboard box or two, so it was more than an armload. :)
Do you still have them? Just curious what titles were in there.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

I still have them all, though I'm growing slightly fuzzy on which books actually came from there. Offhand I remember they included Washington Irving's 5-volume biography of George Washington, a few volumes from a series called The Library of Oratory, and a novel called Asmodeus, or The Devil on Two Sticks. I have an old copy of The Arabian Nights that may have come from there too... but possibly not. There are definitely others, but I'd have to go poking around to identify them.

He had a ton of Walter Scott novels, but I think my dad ended up with those.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have Arabian Nights. It's an early 1900s copy. No date, unfortunately. I read a good portion of it when I was a teenager. I even took notes because it was so complicated.
:lol:

I briefly googled about Devil on Two Sticks, and wow! That's an interesting premise! If you can, let me know what date that one was published. I'd love to see a picture of it, too, in this thread: viewforum.php?f=32

I got more books today that I'll be posting about shortly. 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm
I have Arabian Nights. It's an early 1900s copy. No date, unfortunately. I read a good portion of it when I was a teenager. I even took notes because it was so complicated.
:lol:

I briefly googled about Devil on Two Sticks, and wow! That's an interesting premise! If you can, let me know what date that one was published. I'd love to see a picture of it, too, in this thread: viewforum.php?f=32

I got more books today that I'll be posting about shortly. 🙂
I should get a good chance to take pictures in the next couple of weeks. We’re getting some new flooring soon and the bookcases will have to be emptied.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm finally settled in and have finished my review of Little Lord Fauntleroy, my 23rd review, though you may want to wait until after we watch the film in the watch-fest to read it!
I'm covering this with spoilers, and if you click the blog link, the review is expanded a bit.
► Show Spoiler

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2021/0 ... auntleroy/

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just finished a book, and - GASP! it wasn't antique! :o :o :o

Shocking, I know! I have to share this with you, though, because this was a fantastic book.
My newest read is the exact opposite of antique.

Project Hail Mary (2021) by Andy Weir :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

is an exciting sci-fi adventure, and well worth the read. Andy Weir, you may recall, is the one who wrote The Martian (2011).

It is slow going in the beginning but gets good, really good as you push along, and then you'll find that you are thanking yourself for the rewarding payoff. Seriously, if you're looking for a good brand-new read, this is it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I read a short book (kindle version) called

Carmilla (1872) by Sheridan Le Fanu :star: :star: :star:

This a Gothic vampire novella that predates Dracula by 25 years and is said to have influenced Bram Stoker in writing his famous novel. This book builds suspense well, has some very effective scary parts, though is sort of anticlimactic in the end. This doesn't really make a difference, because it's all about the ride in this one. The protagonist is a female and it is written in first person, which I always like.

Three stars, though I think it could have garnered more points if the writer didn't keep going back and forth between past and present tense early on and if it was a little longer, adding in some more frightening scenes.

Overall, good book, and a must read for vampire aficionados.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just finished reading a kindle version of

The Damned (1914) by Algernon Blackwood :star: :star: :star: :star:

This is a very engaging gothic horror story about a brother and sister who visits the sister's friend in her mansion, but the mansion is not what it seems.

It kept me on the edge of my seat most of the time, though some of the imagery is a little hard to follow without reading over again; you should definitely be focused while reading this. If you aren't, you won't know what's going on at all.
The story does a great job filling you with a strong sense of dread all the time they are in the house, the house in which "Nothing happens", and is a great commentary on the detrimental psychological effects of dogmatic religion.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Book number 13 was

Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates (1925) by Mary Mapes Dodge ⭐⭐⭐⭐

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/764
Donnie, here is your reminder to read this in December!
It's time to read this book! As Nike says, Just Do It!