Mystery Film

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Mystery Film

Post by donnie »

I found something interesting recently. I have an old framed print of an outdoor scene that my cousin gave to me many years ago. My aunt fussed at him about his having it on the wall of his room—she apparently thought it was an eyesore. I actually kind of like it (more on that later). I don't know where he got it—I think he had maybe just found it in the house they moved into and stuck it on the wall.

Anyway, an old tattered piece of paper had been used as a backing when it was put into the glass frame many years ago. When I removed it, this is what was on the other side! I haven't yet gotten around to researching what film this is or when it was made.
Attachments
IMG_2953.jpeg
IMG_2953.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 3485 times

Kitty

Re: Mystery Film

Post by Kitty »

Oh, my, how cool!! This is such a neat find.

This film is The Woman I Love (1929) with Norman Kerry and Margaret Morris. IMDB has no description info on this film. I'll research this more later when I'm at my computer.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Cool! Thanks! I thought it might be a silent because I saw this painting advertised in my 1927 Sears catalog reproduction. I wonder how this came to be used as backing for the picture. Maybe the owner was a theatre manager and was repurposing discarded lobby cards?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's what I found on this so far. There's a photo, three reviews, and a program schedule for Olympia Theater (which, if I'm reading this right, is in Miami, which I did not know!) - our film on the bottom right.
Picture Play Mag Sept 1929.png
Picture Play Mag Sept 1929.png (338.27 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
The Woman I Love Photoplay May 1929.png
The Woman I Love Photoplay May 1929.png (139.81 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Motion Picture News June 1929.png
Motion Picture News June 1929.png (256.67 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Harrison's Reports May 4 1929.png
Harrison's Reports May 4 1929.png (187.02 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Exhibitor's Herald World August 10 1929.png
Exhibitor's Herald World August 10 1929.png (104.6 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Most interesting, especially the reviews! It doesn't look to have been a masterpiece.

Wouldn't it have been wonderful to go to all those films at the Olympia? Looking at the names of the actors, I recognize almost all of them, and it stuck me that if this had been a list of 2019 movies, I'd have been clueless who most of them were. :D

I'm wondering if this one is extant. Judging from the lack of any reviews at imdb, I'm guessing not.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't think it is, either, as I couldn't find any info when I googled.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm not sure what to do with this fragment—it's pretty useless as is, but I hate to throw it away, somehow. Any suggestions? :-) There may actually be another piece(s); the picture is back behind a lot of other stuff in storage and I don't want to drag a lot of things out to get to it.

Here it is advertised in the 1927 Sears catalog, and a photo of a print being sold on Etsy.
Attachments
IMG_3003.jpeg
IMG_3003.jpeg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 3412 times
il_570xN.1898002280_dx0w.jpg
il_570xN.1898002280_dx0w.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

What exactly is it? A print? More like a painting? That is pretty cool!!!!
Why do you call it a fragment? Don't throw it away... It could be worth something on antiques roadshow! 😂

donnie

Post by donnie »

I think I got my wording confused on that post. The Lone Wolf is a print based on an original painting—I’m going to hang on to the actual picture, though I’m not sure it’s worth what someone on Etsy thinks it is. ;) What I was asking about disposing of is that half-of-a-movie-poster backing. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oooh. Definitely don't do that, either! I'd put it in a large book for someone to find later!