Advertising Mascots

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
BettyLouSpence

Re: Advertising Mascots

Post by BettyLouSpence »

The style reminds me a bit of Mutt and Jeff :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Look who I just discovered! It's a lumberjack character named Dinty Moore.
RLAT2WVU6ZAXTG7LAIX7XOLP4U.jpg
RLAT2WVU6ZAXTG7LAIX7XOLP4U.jpg (166.57 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm
Yes! :D See my reply on the commercial thread.

Here's a different kind of mascot - Mr. Zip. He was brought in by the post office back in the '60's to publicize the new zip code and urge everyone to use it. By the way, ZIP stands for Zone Improvement Plan. (I threw that in for free. ;) )
I remember Mr. Zip! There was a big wooden (I think it was wooden) sign of him in our local post office, in that exact pose, when I was a kid. (I think it's technically Zoning Improvement Plan, but I only know that because we had some kind of writing assignment on it in the fourth grade.)
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

dachshundonstilts

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
On a more cheerful note, here's The Drop Man, a former mascot of ESSO Oil Company. How could you be in a bad mood looking at this little guy? :D
That character reminds me of "Willing Water," the narrator in this comic book they passed out on our fourth grade field trip to the water company.

Actually, at that time they were transitioning to a new version of Willing Water, so I picked up both books. (I thought the older one had more character, with his eyebrows and ears and that high starched collar.)

"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 am
donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
On a more cheerful note, here's The Drop Man, a former mascot of ESSO Oil Company. How could you be in a bad mood looking at this little guy? :D
That character reminds me of "Willing Water," the narrator in this comic book they passed out on our fourth grade field trip to the water company.

Actually, at that time they were transitioning to a new version of Willing Water, so I picked up both books. (I thought the older one had more character, with his eyebrows and ears and that high starched collar.)

Very cool!! That later one is kind of interesting, because they place a correction right on the cover.

I agree that the older Willing is the better of the two. Wonder why they felt the need to change him to such a plain depiction?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's one cool looking character. :D Yes, I like the earlier one a little better too. Wish I had a copy of this. :)

dachshundonstilts

Kitty wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 am

Very cool!! That later one is kind of interesting, because they place a correction right on the cover.

As a kid I wondered why it was easier to add all that to the cover than just to go back and fix page 5. These days I understand that they must have discovered the error after all the copies were printed, so they ran the covers through and overprinted the correction.

I'll bet they revised the comic so they could include stuff about metric measurements. (It was the Seventies.) And they probably couldn't get the original artist again.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:54 pm
I'll bet they revised the comic so they could include stuff about metric measurements. (It was the Seventies.) And they probably couldn't get the original artist again.
That makes a lot of sense!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Captain Tootsie! This one is a cool crossover, as it talks about a film with William Bendix in it.
Attachments
201874086_4854685637881175_3456308877000214489_n.jpg
201874086_4854685637881175_3456308877000214489_n.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

I meant to post this yesterday, as it pertains to the Thanksgiving Google Doodle. Anyway, these are not advertising mascots, but they still made me think of this thread, and I liked them, so I'm going to post them. (I guess the shapes of some of them reminded me of Willing Water above.) :D Here's a screenshot (of course they were animated).
Attachments
google.png
google.png (117.8 KiB) Viewed 2191 times