Robin Hood Clips Commentary

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Re: Robin Hood Clips Commentary

Post by Kitty »

I think I've seen that, but I'll watch it again. It's the first thing I think of when I think of Fairbanks. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 pm
Among his friends it was common to refer to him by the nearly-naughty Spoonerism "Fugless Darebanks."
Interesting!! You don't hear a lot of that kind of stuff.
I know. And these were seminarians!
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: That's great!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Fugless Darebanks, I always loved doing that with names, we did that in school. Ah memories.

The first time I watched Coke Ennyday, I was really quite surprised/shocked that it ever got made.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 pm
Here it is. They called them "Hollywood on Parade". This one also has Mary Pickford and Bing Crosby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbBtefH1lyc
I finally just watched this. It was fascinating to see Mary Pickford! Another thing that fascinated me was the windshield---she actually pushed it forward! I have never seen anything like that before. Was that really Tom Mix? Who was the mailman guy? He didn't seem very professional, and he seemed like he had already had a few when Tom told him about the beer they had in the back. I also didn't recognize the couple in the beginning.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm
donnie wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 pm
Here it is. They called them "Hollywood on Parade". This one also has Mary Pickford and Bing Crosby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbBtefH1lyc
I finally just watched this. It was fascinating to see Mary Pickford! Another thing that fascinated me was the windshield---she actually pushed it forward! I have never seen anything like that before. Was that really Tom Mix? Who was the mailman guy? He didn't seem very professional, and he seemed like he had already had a few when Tom told him about the beer they had in the back. I also didn't recognize the couple in the beginning.
Yes, the windshield is cool. Little things like that you don't know about until you happen to catch them on film. And did you notice how Bing pronounced "radio" with the first first syllable sounding the same as in "radical"? I think that pronunciation was common back then. I've heard "radiator" pronounced the same way.

The mailman is a person by the name of Eddie Borden. I don't know who he is, but his face looks kind of familiar. And he never got that beer. :( Maybe...he could just go buy one? :)

Yes, that is Tom Mix.

The couple at the beginning was actually the part I was most interested in. It is the silent stars Richard "Dick" Arlen and his wife Jobyna Ralston, co-star of Harold Lloyd in so many of his comedy features. I was always curious to hear what her voice sounded like. Unfortunately her part was very brief.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oooooh! I do recognize the name Dick Arlen and of course, Jobyna Ralston's name. Interesting!!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

donnie wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm

The mailman is a person by the name of Eddie Borden. I don't know who he is, but his face looks kind of familiar. And he never got that beer. :( Maybe...he could just go buy one? :)
Now that I think about it, this would have apparently been still during prohibition, so maybe he couldn't buy one, but had to get one from a friend on the sly. But if that's so, why would Arlen have received a bill from the brewery, and Tom Mix have openly stated having a supply of beer? But this was made in '32, and prohibition ended in '33, I believe. Confusing...