Asbury Park, NJ ca. 1900

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Asbury Park, NJ ca. 1900

Post by Kitty »

This isn't quite a video or a newsreel, but shorpy.com put this together with some beautiful images of beach photos taken at Asbury Park. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/wP6VbFz2Q_U
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Asbury Park, NJ ca. 1900

Post by donnie »

I love that. What a nice assemblage of photos!

Wasn't the women's dress of that era beautiful and graceful?

I wonder what the benches (?) in rows in the photo starting around 1:10 were for? And I wonder why they held onto ropes when they bathed—for safety, I guess, if there was a strong tide?

Kitty

Re: Asbury Park, NJ ca. 1900

Post by Kitty »

That's what they call the boardwalk pavilion. Bands play there sometimes. My parents played there at least once I was there that I can remember. Those seats are for the listeners!
I don't remember there being so many chairs, though. Maybe my memory is hazy, or maybe they just don't have as many seats there anymore.
Yes, their dresses were very graceful and lovely. And those are just their beachwear!
Maybe those people didn't know how to swim, and that's why they were hanging onto the rope. That's just my immediate thought. Unsure if it's true!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)