Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:52 am
Being a lifelong hater of confrontation, I was extremely shy and worried about what others would say back to me.
I don't think I would have said anything, either. I was shy, too, but even if I hadn't been, I don't think I'd have had the maturity to speak up in a situation like that. I was pretty immature as a teenager.
Kitty wrote:
I suppose it would depend on the type of person that the prankster is. An adult going one on one could help, but if it didn't, (chances are, this is not a new behavior for this guy) the right approach might be to get the entire class together and stand up to him to get him to stop, like in that one other video we watched way back of the younger children. (Do you remember which one I'm talking about?)
Yes, that was The Bully. :)
Kitty wrote:
To answer your question about the sign, it was a simple and lame "Yea Juniors" that is written there. Pretty weird. I'm not so sure if that would be embarrassing to the school, but a confusing, bizarre incident that would need to just be taken down right away. It's the equivalent of writing "The juniors put up this sign". Like, who cares? Say something meaningful if you're going to put up a stupid banner on the school. Missed opportunity! :lol:
Yes, I thought that's what it said, but I asked because it seemed like there must be more to it than that...? Yes, a missed opportunity. :lol:
Kitty wrote:
On the other hand, I am beginning to loathe the perfect picture that older people love to make of their childhood. Like no one ever made any waves, were perfect angels at parties, never was there misbehavior. Everyone was a perfect gentleman and lady. People tend to romanticize the past and block out the negative things.
Yes, to an amazing degree. :roll: That statement jumped out at me, too.
donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:24 pm
The troublemaker portrayed his character perfectly - I definitely knew people like that in school. Videos like this show that kids---and people---have always been the same, though different qualities are magnified in different eras.
Oh yeah, he had that type down pat. Everybody went to school with him. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 am
I'd never have noticed that this was Dick York's coach. Maybe it's the same team! Was it a basketball team that Dick was on?
No, track. Remember how he collapsed in the middle of his lap? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:19 pm
Dick York makes a brief cameo. Don’t blink or you’ll miss him.

For the record, I’d leave the cabins in the back, but move the picnic tables between them and the water. :)

Ways to Better Conversation (1950)
To me, this was a bit boringly presented, though I like your idea of putting the picnic tables between the cabins and water. :) Unfortunately, I must have blinked, because I looked for young York, but I still missed him.
By the way, there is a brief image of a group of kids sitting at the table -- I think that might be a clip from the one where the girl is having trouble making friends, you know the one we watched the other day.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 am
Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 am
I'd never have noticed that this was Dick York's coach. Maybe it's the same team! Was it a basketball team that Dick was on?
No, track. Remember how he collapsed in the middle of his lap? :)
Oh, yea! Must be Mr. Anycoach. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:31 am
Unfortunately, I must have blinked, because I looked for young York, but I still missed him.
By the way, there is a brief image of a group of kids sitting at the table -- I think that might be a clip from the one where the girl is having trouble making friends, you know the one we watched the other day.
That's where DY is. :) 0:15, on the left. Told ya not to blink. Yes, that setup does look the same, doesn't it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 am
Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:31 am
Unfortunately, I must have blinked, because I looked for young York, but I still missed him.
That's where DY is. :) 0:15, on the left. Told ya not to blink. Yes, that setup does look the same, doesn't it?
Ah, yeah! I am sure I just didn't recognize him, because I know I saw him!

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is a pretty amusing one, though I doubt it has much specific information that would really be helpful. The Goofus examples are funny, especially the man at 3:24. (And why is he standing up and making a speech about this to the other men? :))

I disagree that carelessness is the problem of the girl reading in class—she appears to be just speeding through it because she’s nervous.

A couple of odd things: the giant mouths at 5:23 are a little surreal (especially the second one, who looks like it's cussing someone out :lol:). And where does the group of students suddenly come from at 7:25? :)

Speech - Using Your Voice (1950)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLb4EZwVqZc
Last edited by donnie on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is a pretty well-made one with some decent acting and realistic situations. I think those questions at the end are interesting. (What makes a person like Mel act the way he does? Is the group ever at fault?)

He obviously has some deep-down insecurity and need for attention. Do you think if they showed a little more friendliness it might have helped? (Though it's understandable they don't, under the circumstances.)

It seems that the more he's rebuffed, the more obnoxious and anxious to tear down others he becomes. Do you think if they made an attempt to make him feel included, it might have lessened his motivation to cause trouble? Or is he one of those people who's just incorrigible and they would only be rewarding his behavior by so doing? (I'm starting to sound like the narrator. :))

I like the actor who plays Dean, by the way. He's a very likable character. And the one who plays Mel is also one of the main characters in The Snob.

The Trouble Maker (1958)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__r9sGlzt4

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is a pretty well-made one with some decent acting and realistic situations.

I think those questions at the end are interesting. (What makes a person like Mel act the way he does? Is the group ever at fault?) He obviously has some deep-down insecurity and need for attention. Do you think if they showed a little more friendliness it might have helped? (Though it's understandable they don't, under the circumstances.)

It seems that the more he's rebuffed, the more obnoxious and anxious to tear down others he becomes. Do you think if they made an attempt to make him feel included, it might have lessened his motivation to cause trouble? Or is he one of those people who's just incorrigible and they would only be rewarding his behavior by so doing? (I'm starting to sound like the narrator. :))

I like the actor who plays Dean, by the way. He's a very likable character. And the one who plays Mel is also one of the main characters in The Snob.

The Trouble Maker (1958)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__r9sGlzt4

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:45 pm
Speech - Using Your Voice (1950)

This is a pretty amusing one, though I doubt it has much specific information that would really be helpful. The Goofus examples are funny, especially the man at 3:24. (And why is he standing up and making a speech about this to the other men? :))
I really liked this one! I have to disagree about it being very helpful. It's a nice introduction, and I think that if I had had a class on this when I was young, a really reassuring class about how to make a speech, I might have done a little better when I had to do presentations. They just threw us to the wolves, so to speak. I wish more schools would give you the whys and hows of learning, instead of just throwing facts at you and making you memorize them.
I love when you can see the Goofus and Gallant examples. By the way, I wonder if the phrase Goofus and Gallant was prominent before those Highlights magazines were a thing?
I thought that the way the first man is giving his speech, with his "uh's" and "er's" as the presenter calls them, sounded exactly like he was totally making up his adventure in Africa. To answer your question, maybe he was giving a presentation about his adventurous missionary trip. I went to an assembly like that one time with my friend when I was young.
donnie wrote:
I disagree that carelessness is the problem of the girl reading in class—she appears to be just speeding through it because she’s nervous.
I'm absolutely with you, especially with the way her voice is quavering. She is so scared!
The next one with the man mumbling.... this doesn't seem like regular mumbling to me. Sounds like he's a stroke patient, which definitely isn't his fault.
donnie wrote:
A couple of odd things: the giant mouths at 5:23 are a little surreal (especially the second one, who looks like it's cussing someone out :lol:). And where does the group of students suddenly come from at 7:25? :)
:lol: He did seem to be pretty angry about something. As for the students, I didn't even question that part for one second. That's pretty funny!!

The older lady at the flower convention is perfect in the second part with her warm tones. She speaks in a caring, reassuring tone, and it reminds me of why certain voices are made for radio, and others are not.
The boy's question about his friends thinking he is peculiar for speaking in a different way than he always does is a good question, but using a round tone as the flower lady did would definitely fix that. It shows that she cares about what she's saying and gives you a sort of comforting feeling that she cares about you.

My favorite piece of information this video gives is the round, soft tones. It does make a huge difference. I find that if I speak especially softly and smile a lot at work, it seems that everyone else is smiling, too. Your attitude totally makes a difference on others, whether it should be that way or not. It's just a known fact that if you are pleasant to others, people will feel pleasant toward you. As my mother always said, "You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar."

Thanks for this one - I loved it!