Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am
And the last one for today is Beginning to Date (1953)

This one is from the boy's perspective, which is nice, and it deals with a boy asking his first date out. He is significantly shorter than the girl he asks, but no one seems to notice or care.
Actually, a lot of the kids here seem pretty young to be dating.
That one had some pretty amusing parts. Isn’t George a little young to be dating? And yes, he and the girl are pretty mismatched, height-wise. Actually, a lot of the kids here seem pretty young to be dating.

That’s some pretty odd dance music here with the piano and snare drum combo.
Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:23 am
And here's a new one: The Outsider (1951)
This one actually made me tear up. I felt so sorry for the girl, and actually could kind of relate. I never was a throw myself on the bed cryer for this type of thing, but I've been in a similar situation…
Yes, I’ve been in those situations, too.. And they can be painful when you’re young; that’s what makes this one poignant. And there isn’t always a “good guy” like Marcie to make the outsider feel included.
Kitty wrote:
I thought it was kind of interesting that these people are from Mississippi or something. :lol: I mean, most of the time these videos have actors who all have Mid Atlantic accents, and it was curious to hear all these kids with twangy ones.
I think I remember reading about the Young America films that a lot of them were filmed at an actual high school in Maryland, using actual students the school (maybe with a few professional actors thrown in as ringers). That might account for some of the colorings of Southern accent you hear.
Kitty wrote:
I felt a little bad for the chubby kid. That was a mean comment that the girl made when he asked what they were going to eat at the party. I mean, it was a legit question, and if one of the girls asked what kind of snacks they were going to plan on having, they wouldn't have made that comment.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I think he was kind of supposed to be the comic relief; he even seemed to join in the joke with some of his own comments.
Kitty wrote:
I wonder why our shy girl felt the need to change her order to be the same as the other two? Fitting in certainly doesn't mean being the same as everyone.
Yes, that’s one of the two things that bothered me about the ending. Susan Jane feels she must go all out to prove herself and has read a book to “make people like you.” The thing is, the narration seems to be in agreement that this is the best course, and ponders "Will it be enough?" :? I think she should be friendly, but also be who she is, and not feel the necessity of forcing the others to like her.
Kitty wrote:
I liked the end part where they had the questions on the screen. I hope it helped a few people make more friends.
Well, though the questions were good ones and well-intended, one thing about them kind of bothered me. If this was shown and discussed in an actual classroom (which I guess it was), mightn’t they lead to an embarrassing situation? I.e., how could any students really answer the questions without bringing up aloud the name of the student they may be ignoring? :roll:
Kitty wrote:
By the way, she has the cutest hair cut I've seen in these old things! I have never noticed the really really short hair in this era.
Yes, it does suit her. And did you notice this is the same actress (though older) that is in The Snob? Her acting had improved a lot by then.
viewtopic.php?p=187&sid=c95e15726058453 ... 53fe4#p187

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's a rather strange and interesting one. It's made by the Department of the Interior. The slow-pace and simple vocabulary of the narration, along with the cast, makes me guess it is aimed at non-native English speakers or immigrants who may be unfamiliar with American telephone customs. 3:58 was funny. :lol:

Telephone Etiquette (1952)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdBPTTsRCM

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 pm
Telephone Etiquette (1952)
You could be right about the audience that this is aimed at. For a moment, I thought that it could have been aimed at grade school children, but I think if that were the case, they would have had children in the cast. Did you notice that nearly every person in the entire film is depressed sounding? No fake happiness or spread-on-thick sweetness in this one! The incident at 3:58 happens a lot in the home (or, I guess, used to happen! Who has a landline nowadays, anyway!?! :lol:) By the way, doesn't that same incident seem to be taking place in a prison where someone might make their "one phone call"? :lol:
Isn't it funny how some things just never change, such as this type of advice? I follow this type of advice every day when answering phones at work. The callers dont, though! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:56 pm
Kitty wrote:
I wonder why our shy girl felt the need to change her order to be the same as the other two? Fitting in certainly doesn't mean being the same as everyone.
Yes, that’s one of the two things that bothered me about the ending. Susan Jane feels she must go all out to prove herself and has read a book to “make people like you.” The thing is, the narration seems to be in agreement that this is the best course, and ponders "Will it be enough?" :? I think she should be friendly, but also be who she is, and not feel the necessity of forcing the others to like her.
Oh, by the way, I remember one of the girls saying that Jane needs to 'put herself out (there)'. Worst advice ever to give to a girl who is shy and doesn't know how to make friends or boyfriends easily. A girl like that is most certainly not likely to know what that means, and is likely to make bad choices, contrary to what she would normally have done before. I'm talking from experience, no one should make comments like that to people who are having this type of issue.
On your comment, that was exactly my thought process. I think the key to making friends is just asking questions and being interested in others. You don't have to try especially hard; that often leads to disappointment. It's also very tiring worrying about what everyone thinks of you at all times. No, people cannot escape that thought all the time, but I can imagine that it would really wear you out for it to be a constant thought.
Kitty wrote:
I liked the end part where they had the questions on the screen. I hope it helped a few people make more friends.
donnie wrote:
Well, though the questions were good ones and well-intended, one thing about them kind of bothered me. If this was shown and discussed in an actual classroom (which I guess it was), mightn’t they lead to an embarrassing situation? I.e., how could any students really answer the questions without bringing up aloud the name of the student they may be ignoring? :roll:
I kind of assumed that these were thought-provoking questions that weren't really made to be answered aloud. Who knows for sure, though?
donnie wrote:
And did you notice this is the same actress (though older) that is in The Snob? Her acting had improved a lot by then.
viewtopic.php?p=187&sid=c95e15726058453 ... 53fe4#p187
I did not realize that! That is really cool!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 am
Did you notice that nearly every person in the entire film is depressed sounding? No fake happiness or spread-on-thick sweetness in this one!
Yes, watching it again, they deliver their lines almost in a complete monotone. They aren’t professional actors, but it seems like the filmmakers would have enticed them to use a little more expression to sound more realistic.
Kitty wrote:
By the way, doesn't that same incident seem to be taking place in a prison where someone might make their "one phone call"? :lol:
I was trying to figure out the setting of the calls. The ones with the male actors look like they are in a prison or some sort of institution with a shared phone. One person mentioned “dormitory,” but I can’t think what type of dormitory that would be, or why someone in an office would have been calling different persons with small jobs. Maybe it was some sort of halfway house/employment agency kind of thing?

Did you notice also how the sound was echo-y? This looks like a very low-budget film, which is kind of surprising, seeing that it was made by a federal government agency.
Kitty wrote:
Isn't it funny how some things just never change, such as this type of advice? I follow this type of advice every day when answering phones at work. The callers dont, though! :lol:
Yes. :roll: I see a lot of comments on these films that they need to be shown today!
Kitty wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:27 am
Oh, by the way, I remember one of the girls saying that Jane needs to 'put herself out (there)'. Worst advice ever to give to a girl who is shy and doesn't know how to make friends or boyfriends easily. A girl like that is most certainly not likely to know what that means, and is likely to make bad choices, contrary to what she would normally have done before. I'm talking from experience, no one should make comments like that to people who are having this type of issue.
Agreed! That’s the last thing a person with social anxiety disorder or extreme shyness needs to hear. That doesn’t do any good, and only brings about more anxiety—and kind of reinforces that idea that a person must “perform” to be accepted. I’m sure the advice is well-intended, but… :roll:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, I can't go to bed yet for the fireworks going off around the neighborhood :roll: so I'm watching some IF's. This is a pretty funny one. Boy, this kid is grade-A annoying. :lol: By the way, what did the sign say?—I couldn't make it out clearly.

The narrator is very likable in this one, but I don't the answer to her question at the end. What do you think? :)

The Show-Off (1954)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ViUpQ2ebvg

donnie

Post by donnie »

This one is interesting and pretty well-made. Although the locker room confession session is kind of unrealistic, it does do a good job of showing the complexities and motivations involved in a lot of real-life situations.

I think the boys' hairstyles are interesting in this one. Most of them have a lot of very thick hair arranged in different styles, but only on the top of the head with the sides and back being kept short. The girls' styles in this early '50's era were unique, also. Also notice that the coach here is the same one that helped Dick York with his sleep problem. :)

How Honest Are You? (1950)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhOvZrRPT0&t=76sc

donnie

Post by donnie »

This one is in color (though it has an odd pink cast—colorized?). Dick York makes a brief cameo. Don’t blink or you’ll miss him. Though I hate volleyball, I have to admit it makes a good comparison for illustrating conversation skills.

For the record, I’d leave the cabins in the back, but move the picnic tables between them and the water. :)

Ways to Better Conversation (1950)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpS28RP0scY

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:24 pm
By the way, what did the sign say?—I couldn't make it out clearly.
The narrator is very likable in this one, but I don't the answer to her question at the end. What do you think? :)
The Show-Off (1954)
I liked this one! The narrator is adorable, but I don't really know the effective answer to her question here, either. If she's asking me personally, the truth is, at that age, I'd roll my eyes and try to ignore it. I certainly wouldn't have spoken up at that age --- Being a lifelong hater of confrontation, I was extremely shy and worried about what others would say back to me.

I suppose it would depend on the type of person that the prankster is. An adult going one on one could help, but if it didn't, (chances are, this is not a new behavior for this guy) the right approach might be to get the entire class together and stand up to him to get him to stop, like in that one other video we watched way back of the younger children. (Do you remember which one I'm talking about?) This would be tricky, though, because it would be necessary to get every person on board, and that isn't always easy.

To answer your question about the sign, it was a simple and lame "Yea Juniors" that is written there. Pretty weird. I'm not so sure if that would be embarrassing to the school, but a confusing, bizarre incident that would need to just be taken down right away. It's the equivalent of writing "The juniors put up this sign". Like, who cares? Say something meaningful if you're going to put up a stupid banner on the school. Missed opportunity! :lol:

About the party with the glass - that poor mother had a lot of faith in those children. She must know nothing about her child's friends. My first thought was what the father asked afterward - Why in the world would you use your good crystal for a teenage party? On the other hand, I am beginning to loathe the perfect picture that older people love to make of their childhood. Like no one ever made any waves, were perfect angels at parties, never was there misbehavior. Everyone was a perfect gentleman and lady. People tend to romanticize the past and block out the negative things.

The troublemaker portrayed his character perfectly - I definitely knew people like that in school. Videos like this show that kids---and people---have always been the same, though different qualities are magnified in different eras.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:59 pm
This one is interesting and pretty well-made. Although the locker room confession session is kind of unrealistic, it does do a good job of showing the complexities and motivations involved in a lot of real-life situations.
......Also notice that the coach here is the same one that helped Dick York with his sleep problem. :)

How Honest Are You? (1950)
I loved this one! Every one of these kids have practiced and rehearsed a lot. This isn't their first rodeo.

The only thing about this video is that I saw the conclusion a mile away. Well, sort of. My immediate thought was that maybe Ben had asked Bob to go back and grab something that he'd forgotten in his locker that they would need for practice, though I was't 100% sure what the thing would have been.

Jim (I think that was his name) saw Bob grab something out of Ben's locker. If it were a situation where I knew the locker owner well enough (and it looks like it is) what I would do would ask Ben vaguely if he'd asked someone to go to his locker to get something. That could have saved all that trouble!

I'd never have noticed that this was Dick York's coach. Maybe it's the same team! Was it a basketball team that Dick was on?