Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Glad you liked it. :D
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:03 pm
By the way, I wonder if the phrase Goofus and Gallant was prominent before those Highlights magazines were a thing?
I would say not, that that probably originated with Highlights. But that's just a guess.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:03 pm
My favorite piece of information this video gives is the round, soft tones. It does make a huge difference. I find that if I speak especially softly and smile a lot at work, it seems that everyone else is smiling, too. Your attitude totally makes a difference on others, whether it should be that way or not. It's just a known fact that if you are pleasant to others, people will feel pleasant toward you. As my mother always said, "You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar."
Yes, surprising how contagious that can be. I like the way he says "keep it looooow." :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:19 pm
This is a pretty well-made one with some decent acting and realistic situations. I think those questions at the end are interesting. (What makes a person like Mel act the way he does? Is the group ever at fault?)
He obviously has some deep-down insecurity and need for attention. Do you think if they showed a little more friendliness it might have helped? (Though it's understandable they don't, under the circumstances.)
I felt sort of bad for him when he was trying to talk to Dean about football. He is obviously lonely, though he probably doesn't know why.
donnie wrote:
Do you think if they made an attempt to make him feel included, it might have lessened his motivation to cause trouble? Or is he one of those people who's just incorrigible and they would only be rewarding his behavior by so doing?
Maybe, but it all depends on what kind of person Mel really is. He may be doing this for approval, but he could also be doing this just to troll and sit back and watch the flames.
donnie wrote:
And the one who plays Mel is also one of the main characters in The Snob.
I knew I knew that guy! It was almost distracting the whole time. I guess I should have read your entire post before watching. :lol:

A couple musings:
Why did the girl need a ride home from the library at 10:30 pm? The library sure is open late! And, knowing that the big game was tomorrow, I don't really think that it was the time for Dean to rebuff the other player walking down the street so late at night. Actually, all the dark and shadow made me worry that the boy was going to get mugged or something. That would be way worse than just losing some sleep.

The Trouble Maker (1958)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

There’s a book Playing Safe in the Kitchen?? :lol:

Some pretty good tips in this one, though most of them are fairly obvious. I’d like to have one of those wall-mounted knife sharpeners. And I think Eleanor worries too much about the tops of those cabinets that no one ever sees. ;)

Cooking - Kitchen Safety (1949)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4KbhvpQZw

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's a nice one from 1960, A Date for Dinner. I thought this one was very pleasant and interesting to watch, with likable characters. It is sponsored by Kimberly-Clark, makers of Kleenex tissues, which you won't have trouble remembering, since they work a product placement into every scene. :D

It seems strange to be rehearsing a date in this much detail. And from the tips given, this seems an awfully formal (and probably expensive) restaurant for a young couple this age to be going to. Obviously, they're not heading to Burger King. :)

Question: What is the boss saying after he raps on the window?—something on the order of "Get back to work," I guess, but I can't make it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzwNveSop3k

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cooking - Kitchen Safety (1949)
donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:48 pm
There’s a book Playing Safe in the Kitchen?? :lol:
It's a shame that she covered up the author! :lol:
donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:48 pm
I’d like to have one of those wall-mounted knife sharpeners. And I think Eleanor worries too much about the tops of those cabinets that no one ever sees. ;)
That wall-mounted sharpener is pretty cool! Why did they go out of style?! Or maybe they're just in fancy kitchens.
Wait, I thought that was a different lady? After all, at the end we learn that Eleanor has been stuck in the hospital for her big fall. And when I went back to confirm, Eleanor's a blonde! Either way, my thought was how low the cabinets were. Even if I stood on the counter, I'd not be able to see the tops of my cabinets, and she was at least a head taller than them when on the top rung of the ladder.
By the way, do you say El-en-OR, or do you say El-en-ER? It seems that people use both interchangeably, but I always say El-en-OR.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

A Date for Dinner
donnie wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:54 pm
I thought this one was very pleasant and interesting to watch, with likable characters. It is sponsored by Kimberly-Clark, makers of Kleenex tissues, which you won't have trouble remembering, since they work a product placement into every scene. :D
Interesting, I've never heard of Kleenex Towels. And if I didn't already know, I don't think I would have noticed that the logo said Kleenex. It looks like some kind of Arabic from far away.
donnie wrote:
It seems strange to be rehearsing a date in this much detail. And from the tips given, this seems an awfully formal (and probably expensive) restaurant for a young couple this age to be going to. Obviously, they're not heading to Burger King. :)
I think it was pretty common (at least on film) to go to a fancier restaurant for a date, even for that age. I remember watching Leave It To Beaver one time when Wally, who wasn't more than 15 or 16 took a date to a fancy restaurant. I remember this because he was complaining about how much coffee was. I think it was 40 cents or something. :lol:
donnie wrote:
Question: What is the boss saying after he raps on the window?—something on the order of "Get back to work," I guess, but I can't make it out.
"If you're through with the phone, Ed, there's work on aisle three." He's definitely not getting the Coronet award for Best Line Delivery of 1960. :lol:

I love the music that plays under the narration when the film really takes off. It's pretty. I laughed at the comment how a girl shouldn't plop into the chair and expect the boy to push the chair and her into the table. "He may not be a weightlifter." :lol:
Also, the butter knife and the meat knife look like the exact same utensil to me!

"You will never put your purse on the table" *Kitty looks directly at bag on table while sitting in the establishment she's in*

It's a shame that so much audio is lost in this one. You get the gist, but there is a lot of skipping in the dialogue.

Maybe it was different then, but now I feel like they give you about three minutes to look at the menu, even when the menu is huge, and expect you to know what you want right away. I've started to cut out the anxiety of having to hurry by looking at the menu ahead of time so I can be ready for Speedy McWaiterson when he comes to the table.
Or maybe they still give you "ample" time to look at the menu in fancier restaurants. I've never been in the kind that takes your coat.

OMG! They were expected to leave crap on the floor if they dropped it? That seems so disrespectful, and dangerous, too, because someone could trip over it. I know it's a fancy restaurant, and you're paying for service, but they're not your servants!
I like that subtle product placement when she opened up her little purse and there was a pack of Kleenex tissues in there, plain and fair to see. :lol:
In that last scene, I thought he was going to call and cancel. :lol: or, maybe say he was going to take her to Burger Town. Wouldn't that be sort of a let-down after all this practice.

So, I thought that the girl went to her friend's house to practice? Then why did she answer the phone saying "Ed! How did you know I was home?"

This was an adorable film with well-done characters and cute acting. I liked it a lot, and it made me smile.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 am
Wait, I thought that was a different lady? After all, at the end we learn that Eleanor has been stuck in the hospital for her big fall. And when I went back to confirm, Eleanor's a blonde!
Yes, there were two of them. The dark- haired cook is a fill-in for Eleanor, since she's laid up recuperating. :D The actress playing Eleanor turns up in a lot of these Young America films, always playing the young housewife.
Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 am
By the way, do you say El-en-OR, or do you say El-en-ER? It seems that people use both interchangeably, but I always say El-en-OR.
El-en-ER is my pronunciation.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:10 am
El-en-ER is my pronunciation.
Well you're saying it wrong. Fix it. :lol: Kidding!!!!

By the way, I now am playing "Eleanor, gee I think you're swell, and you really do me well, you're my pride and joy et cetera...." over and over in my head. Thanks, Elle!!!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
A Date for Dinner
Interesting, I've never heard of Kleenex Towels. And if I didn't already know, I don't think I would have noticed that the logo said Kleenex. It looks like some kind of Arabic from far away.
I'd never heard of them, either. They must have discontinued that product early-on. I wouldn't have noticed it was Kleenex, either, except when I later saw they had boxes of tissues in every scene, I checked back, and sure enough. Did you notice they had the paper towels stacked both out on the floor AND in the employee area next to the phone? They wanted to make sure they got their money's worth out of this film. :D
Kitty wrote:
"You will never put your purse on the table" *Kitty looks directly at bag on table while sitting in the establishment she's in*
Uh-oh. BUSTED! :lol:
Kitty wrote:
Maybe it was different then, but now I feel like they give you about three minutes to look at the menu, even when the menu is huge, and expect you to know what you want right away. I've started to cut out the anxiety of having to hurry by looking at the menu ahead of time so I can be ready for Speedy McWaiterson when he comes to the table.
Or maybe they still give you "ample" time to look at the menu in fancier restaurants. I've never been in the kind that takes your coat.
Yes, I've noticed that, too. I always feel a compulsion to rush and try to read the menu as fast as I can, knowing that Speedy will be along second-arily. :) And so many of them have about 8 or 10 page menus. And I've noticed they'll be glad to "give you a little longer," but then it's about 15 minutes before they return!

I don't remember being in one that formal either. I doubt there are many around (any?) that still have coat checks.
Kitty wrote:
OMG! They were expected to leave crap on the floor if they dropped it? That seems so disrespectful, and dangerous, too, because someone could trip over it. I know it's a fancy restaurant, and you're paying for service, but they're not your servants!
Yes, that seemed odd to me too. And that fork never got picked up.
Kitty wrote:
I like that subtle product placement when she opened up her little purse and there was a pack of Kleenex tissues in there, plain and fair to see. :lol:
As I say, they wanted to get their money's worth!
Kitty wrote:
So, I thought that the girl went to her friend's house to practice? Then why did she answer the phone saying "Ed! How did you know I was home?"
Yeah, that confused me, too. I thought I was missing something.
Kitty wrote:
This was an adorable film with well-done characters and cute acting. I liked it a lot, and it made me smile.
Glad you liked it. And you learned a new rule, too, DIDN'T you? ;) :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

This film is from a company I’ve never run across—Avis Films. The kids are cute in this one, and I like their relationship, if perhaps a little unrealistic. (Would a boy and girl that far apart in age do everything together like that?) I wonder if the actors playing Judy and Jim are actual siblings—Jim requires strong glasses at an unusually young age, and I noticed Judy is also wearing glasses in a couple of scenes, as well.

It’s kind of amusing how much attention they spend on developing good toilet habits. :lol:

This was part 1 of 2—I wonder what the other part was about?

Good Health Practices (1953)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xGIyqcW1E
Last edited by donnie on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.