A Florida Enchantment (1914)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
dustin@harpodeon.com

Re: A Florida Enchantment (1914)

Post by dustin@harpodeon.com »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am
[about the disappointment of the end]
donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm
[about the unevenness of the tone]
donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 am
Speaking of which...I wonder what happened to that fourth seed?
The film largely follows the book faithfully, down to some of the male and female divides shown already seeming a bit old-fashioned for 1914. It does make some very notable changes.

More than twenty years had passed since the book was published, and by that point the Civil War was nearly fifty years in the past. It wasn’t as relevant to the film as it was to the book, so all mentions of it or of slavery are dropped. Major Thornton, for example, was a Confederate officer in the novel and Captain Oglethrope was a 1790s slave trader and his encounter with Quasi is much less friendly than the story the film relates. Dropping all of that doesn’t affect the plot and was the right thing to do. Bowdlerizing the Quasi story does leave out an important element, that the magic tree was burned with the village and the four seeds enclosed are the last.

A big difference, and one that explains a lot of the gaps in the film’s logic, is that in the novel, Fred actually is cheating on Lillian with Stella Lovejoy. Lillian and Bessie catch them, much is made over the difference infidelity makes when the perpetrator is a man versus a woman. That is a large part of the reason why Lillian swallowed the first seed.

If you’ve read much Archibald Clavering Gunter, you know he’s not really a comic author. You might think so at first blush: he’s got a light tone, he’s satirical, he’s fond of complements that are dripping with sarcasm, but for all that, he treats his subject matter fairly seriously. The difference from the film to the novel that turns everything on its head is that the one Kitty and BettyLouSpence would have preferred: in the novel, it isn’t a dream. That’s where the four seeds element comes in that the film sets up but then abandons. Lillian takes the first, she gives Jane the second, and then Fred takes the third. And I don’t know why screenwriter Marguerite Bertsch didn’t change it to three but the film is done after that. In the novel, Lawrence dreams of what would happen if the public knew about the last seed. He imagines the newspaper ad—$3,000,000 offered—richest widow in New York in negotiations—the queen who wants to be a king—etc. Frederica is miserable living as woman and is going broke because no one will trust a “doctress’s” care. While Lawrence and Bessie are boarding the ship on their honeymoon, Frederica finally convinces Lawrence to give up the seed by asking what would happen if Bessie should ever stumble onto it. At that, the doctress immediately changes back to a doctor as the tugboats pull the ship off the shore.

The tagline of A Florida Enchantment, the film, is “The Funny Phantasy”, but the book’s not so fantastic. It’s really trying to examine the different ways society treats the sexes and the different reactions society has to one sex behaving or presenting as another. Namely, that gay women are disapproved of but accepted, while gay me are condemned, and Gunter is trying to point out the hypocrisy in that. The film does that too, of course, but it muddles it a bit in trying to make it more of a comedy than it wants to be. The book is satyric but not really a comic.
donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm
[about liking the beginning more than the end]
That was really the public’s response to it, too. One contemporary review—I think it was the Variety one—thought the film was only funny up to Lillian’s transformation and then the comedy all seemed forced onto the plot.

The changes to the film’s plot probably came from the earlier Broadway stage adaptation. In terms of page count, A Florida Enchantment isn’t a long book, but it’s awfully involved with the setting changes from New York to Florida and back constantly. Simplifying things to make them easier to stage with only one New York act makes sense. And it didn’t help that Gunter’s hypocrisy was the accepted view at the time and audience wouldn’t have liked it. We can’t know, though, what the play is like because it’s presumed lost.

There’s been some question over the years about what exactly Lillian/Lawrence’s relationship with Bessie is supposed to represent. Whether its what it looks like today—a look at someone who’s transgender seeking a straight partnership—or if, trying to look at it through what may be Gunter’s lens—the gender-bending is more of a code meant to show discovering one’s lesbianism and marrying another woman. There are arguments to be made for either position, but speaking of coding, the names Lawrence and Clarence were seen as extremely gay in that era. Think Bruce in the 1980s. Calling the character Lawrence was certainly not unintentional.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Dustin, your comments are extremely interesting! I had not realized that this was based on a book. I also meant to add in my original comments about the curious name --- Lawrence Talbot, aka Larry Talbot, who also underwent a transformation, into the Wolfman, famously played by Lon Chaney Jr.!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:07 pm
Dustin, your comments are extremely interesting!
Seconded! Thanks for the fascinating background, Dustin There’s certainly much more here than meets the eye when you take the novel into account—and a lot of things make more sense when you know the source.
dustin@harpodeon.com wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 am
I am a big Edith Storey fan—have been since I first saw her in A Florida Enchantment.
Near—or at—the top of my list of lost silents I’d like to see found is The Dust of Egypt. I downloaded your reconstruction of that some time back. She’s going full-throttle in that one. :) From what’s there, it’s obvious it would have been tons of fun to watch.
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:22 am
It’s really trying to examine the different ways society treats the sexes and the different reactions society has to one sex behaving or presenting as another.
Yes, I somehow had a sense here that there might be something deeper than just light comedy here. And the nature of the relationship between Lillian/Lawrence and Bessie is intriguingly ambiguous. (By the way, Jane Morrow is charming as Bessie. But she sure doesn’t look like she belongs with Mr. Sidney. :))

They’re left out of most modern presentations of films, but I figure they were generally expected at the time so they should be kept now.
Agreed! I like the authenticity of it, and the titles make a nice little “interlude” of sorts. I’m glad you were able to recreate them.
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 am
...the oriental theme from first volume of Sam Fox Moving Picture Music, which I personally thought conveyed the scenes involving the magic seeds perfectly; and Handel’s Sarabanda in D-minor, because it’s a musical reference to Barry Lyndon’s duel theme and I found it funny.
Do you know what work that Sarabande is from? Is it one of the keyboard suites?
The Spanish Quarter has been virtually unchanged since the eighteenth century, so it all looks the same as it did in the film.
I visited St. Augustine once many years ago, but don’t remember that area, specifically. (If I go back, I’ll have to stop in and get a pretzel. :)) One thing I do remember is the lighthouse. I noticed it was represented in the distance in a lot of the window shots. I also remember the Castillo de San Marcos; I’m thinking it was used in the latter portion, also. Is that correct?

dustin@harpodeon.com

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:03 pm
Do you know what work that Sarabande is from? Is it one of the keyboard suites?
HWV 437, Suite in D Minor.
I also remember the Castillo de San Marcos; I’m thinking it was used in the latter portion, also. Is that correct?
It was. Called Fort St. Mark at the time. There are no stairs in the tower now, so you can't look out the top window as Frederica does.

dustin@harpodeon.com

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:03 pm
Near—or at—the top of my list of lost silents I’d like to see found is The Dust of Egypt. I downloaded your reconstruction of that some time back. She’s going full-throttle in that one. :) From what’s there, it’s obvious it would have been tons of fun to watch.
Storey is such an overlooked genius. I've thought so since the '90s. If more of her work were available, I'm sure she'd be better appreciated.

I've been trying to get copies of all the Edith Storey films I can get a hold of to do a sort of collection of them. I own several prints and I've been licensing others. Some archives are very easy to work with, you know. The Library of Congress wants their films seen and are very happy to work with anyone and their licensing terms are generous. Other archives are, well, much more possessive and don't want to collaborate at all. I've got about seven titles at the moment, aside films where she's just in the background.

The Dust of Egypt was fun because reconstructions are always fun and I love doing them. I had the two-three minutes of footage from The Movie Album, a couple lobby cards, stills from two trade magazines, and the novelization in the fan magazine Moving Picture Magazine. The text is taken solely from the latter—condensed for time, of course. I wish more of The Dust of Egypt survived. I wish more of The Price for Folly did, too, if only because I've got a lot of ephemera from it.

Edit:
Incidentally, this may have been posted here already, but Auntie's Portrait is now playing, a classic Jane Morrow and Sidney Drew domestic sitcom.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:38 pm
I've been trying to get copies of all the Edith Storey films I can get a hold of to do a sort of collection of them.
Excellent! :) Thanks for your efforts in this.