Miss Lulu Bett (1921)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
donnie

Miss Lulu Bett (1921)

Post by donnie »

My impression is that this film has never been as high on the radar screen with silent fans as it deserves, for some reason. I suppose that may be because of the subject matter—there is not a lot of action and adventure here, nor any real mystery, and much of the drama is internal. But it is in my top 5—maybe top 3—favorites, for a variety of reasons.

The story is a rather emotionally complex one with a lot of humor, but also a lot of poignance and sadness—as well as some rather odd plot goings-on. The overall theme has to do with how some members of a family can use and subjugate others—and the tragedy of those who let themselves be mentally abused in this way.

The screenplay is extremely well done, with each scene tightly knit and organic to the whole. I think a lot of this had to do with: 1. the fact that the original play by Zona Gale that this film was based on was very well-written; and 2. William deMille was an excellent directer. (I think there may be case to be argued that he was perhaps a better director than his more famous brother, Cecil.)

The highlight of this film for me, though, is Lois Wilson’s acting as the title character. Every tiny expression and action, right down to the movements in her fingers, express the sensitivity, nervousness, and frustration of the character. The subtlety and genuineness is just amazing. This is the only film I’ve seen her in, but judging from this, she was a consummate actress.

Milton Sills is also great in this (again, the only thing I’ve seen him in). The chemistry and tenderness between him and Wilson is very touching. Another standout is Helen Ferguson, as the daughter Diana (the scene in the train station is heart-wrenching.)

The last few minutes of the film are great—I won’t give out any spoilers for those who haven’t seen it—but suffice it to say the conclusion of the story is *very* satisfying.

Another big plus here is the superb score by Rodney Sauer and his Mont Alto Orchestra—on the Image Entertainment DVD version, which I’ll get to in a moment. (Try the scene, for example, at ~9:20. That music, combined with Lois Wilson’s acting…incredible.) Also on the DVD is Why Change Your Wife?—another marvelous film, this time with Cecil directing, and great performances by Thomas Meighan and Gloria Swanson. That’s another one not to be missed. I guess Lulu is the “B side” :? but it’s still my favorite of the two.

Recommended for all silent film fans!
Last edited by donnie on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Re: Miss Lulu Bett (1921)

Post by Kitty »

Thank you! This review really makes me want to watch this.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:) If you do, let me know what you think.

Another kind of "social drama" (I'd guess you'd call it) from this era that is one of my favorites is The Blot, directed by Lois Weber. I actually thought I'd written a review of that one, but I don't see it. As it's been awhile since I've seen it, I'd have to rewatch it to remember some of the details. Whenever I do, I'll try to write a review.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I just finished watching this film. I wasn't familiar with the story at all, so that ending was totally unexpected. I was left mouth agape! I had spent much of the film thinking, "Poor Lois!", feeling sorry for the demure little Lulu, so it was such a pleasant surprise.

May Giraci as the little girl Monona was surprisingly sassy. The piano scene and the one where she unintentionally insults her own mother's cooking was just funny, lol
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:43 pm
I just finished watching this film. I wasn't familiar with the story at all, so that ending was totally unexpected. I was left mouth agape! I had spent much of the film thinking, "Poor Lois!", feeling sorry for the demure little Lulu, so it was such a pleasant surprise.

May Giraci as the little girl Monona was surprisingly sassy. The piano scene and the one where she unintentionally insults her own mother's cooking was just funny, lol
Great! I’m glad you watched it. :D Yes, the ending is quite a shocker, isn’t it? Such a total change of character. And Monona (unique name) certainly does add some mischievous spice to several scenes.

I actually found the character of Ninian a little hard to decipher. Was he basically a con-man with some nice guy in him, or basically a nice guy with some con-man in him? Or just a bumbler? At any rate, the situation with the unintended wedding seemed like a stretch. :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:46 pm
I actually found the character of Ninian a little hard to decipher. Was he basically a con-man with some nice guy in him, or basically a nice guy with some con-man in him? Or just a bumbler? At any rate, the situation with the unintended wedding seemed like a stretch. :)
Good question. When Ninian first appeared, I was very suspicious of his motives. He had only just met Lulu but was already making a move on her! I was sure he was a cad taking advantage of the fact that her home life was so miserable, for some ulterior motive. When they got accidentally married (which, yes, really is quite a stretch: "Whoops, I forgot I'm a justice of the peace. Looks like you guys are married!!" :lol: ) I was sure that his "plan" had worked, and poor Lulu was now trapped.

So when he
► Show Spoiler
So I guess in the end he was a nice guy after all. It really seemed to me that his "pursuit" of Lulu was for nefarious purposes, but maybe audiences in 1921 would've interpreted it differently?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I think that's a pretty good take on the situation.

A couple of other interesting things:

I read somewhere that Lois Wilson said that she felt intimidated by Theodore Roberts (Dwight) on the set. (They called him "Daddy" Roberts.) She complained to director William deMille that he would try to upstage her and steal the scenes. deMille counseled her to stand up for herself and not let Daddy push her around—which advice she successfully took, if I remember correctly. So it seems there was some real life similarity there with the character roles!

Also, I ran up on a preview of the original play by Zona Gale that the movie was based on. Might be interesting to read if the whole thing were there: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mi ... frontcover

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

This is a really late follow up, but after having watched Way Down East I realize that I may have been subconsciously thinking of that cad Sanderson when Ninian first appeared.