The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

Post by Kitty »

I watched an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour today. It was a season 1 episode 18 entitled A Tangled Web.
I'll place the link so we can talk about it if you wanted to!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v4mem
This strange story opens with a man, David, telling his mother he is going to marry the maid. The mother is not too happy about this, and they have some words. We soon find that her son has a serious anger problem, throwing a vase at the wall in front of her. By the way, this was the way he proposed to the girl, by telling his mother they were to marry in front of her.
They marry, and the wife soon finds out that David is a professional thief, and is told so by their friend who owns a wig shop. This wig shop owner seems to have some kind of weird enabling relationship over David.
At David's small birthday party, consisting of the wig shop owner, the wife, and David himself, the wife gives David a scarf that she'd knitted with his initials, DC, on it. David gets a job but loses it promptly, and we learn that he's been keeping it from his wife. The wig shop owner 'casually' mentions that a client of his died recently and had requested that all her jewels be buried with her. Of course, this plants David's next idea into his mind, and he goes to the funeral home to steal the jewels. He is discovered by the curator, and David runs away. Next thing, they are watching the news report on tv. David had gotten the jewels, but the curator had grabbed David's scarf with his initials on it, leaving evidence. What's worse, is that the curator had been beaten to death!
David swears that yes, he stole the jewels, but he didn't kill the guy!
Well, the cops ultimately get him, there is a trial, and David is convicted of murder.
The wife goes to the courthouse and before we know it, she's out on the ledge saying her husband is innocent and she'll jump.
Well, the husband confesses to her out the window that he did do it, didn't mean to, and not to jump because their love has been the only happiness he's ever had.

Well, I had to rewind this one like 6 times to find out what they were saying in some parts. The woman had an accent, which I think was supposed to be french, but it was kind of a deeper voice, and the wig shop owner has an accent, too, with a deep voice, so I couldn't understand it with the mono type sound.
It seems to me, though this was a full hour show, that there was a lot more that the audience didn't know. I felt like the wig owner wasn't mortal, because he mentions something about being a creature (or being, something like that) of the night, and not understanding the young couple's mortal feeling of love. I even kind of feel like we started the show in the middle of something.
In the role of the husband is a young Robert Redford. I honestly have not seen much of his work, but I also forgot that this was Robert Redford until just now when I checked on iMDB. That's gonna tell you that the acting is nothing at all special.
In the role of the wife, former maid, was Zohra Lampert. I knew she seemed familiar, and I was right! She played Jessica in the 1971 cult horror film Let's Scare Jessica To Death. I loved that movie!! I was kind of excited to discover that that was who she was.
I'm going to be watching more episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but so far they don't seem to have the same quality writing as The Twilight Zone. Maybe I shouldn't compare. We shall see as time goes on how I feel!
Last edited by Kitty on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

Post by Kitty »

I watched a second episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. It was season 1 episode 19 entitled Catch A Butterfly. This one was exceptionally better and pretty gripping.
I don't want to go through the gritty details, because this is a really good episode, and worth your watch. It's about a couple with a dog who move into the house next to a couple and their son. We learn quickly that the son is not a very nice boy.
A young Ed Asner plays the boy's father, who makes excuses for him til the cows come home.
If you watch this, let me know, because I'd like to discuss it!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v4meo
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)