Dark Shadows

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Dark Shadows

Post by Kitty »

This one is way different than the other shows I have been watching. It's basically a 30 minute vampire soap opera! The acting is so way out and dramatic, bad, and sometimes extremely bad.... but you know what?

I absolutely loved the atmosphere of this show. The episode I was watching didn't have much substance, and mostly the characters were talking about a friend dying but..... no! not murder!!! Please don't let it be murder. It was concluded that it was a heart attack. I'll be watching a lot more of these, the camp has so much charm. Here's a good example of the scriptwriter's prowess:

"He looked like he was lost in thought. Like he was thinking... something."

Love it, Love it, Love it! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Dark Shadows

Post by donnie »

Oh wow! I’m a serious DS addict! :db: I’ll post more in a little while. Was the episode you saw color or B&W?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:12 pm
Oh wow! I’m a serious DS addict! :db: I’ll post more in a little while. Was the episode you saw color or B&W?
Yay! Glad I struck a good chord on this one! The episode I saw was in color, and I want that girl's dress! It was blue on top and had a very colorful, quilted skirt. I am going to go back and watch every episode!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched the first two episodes. Sorry, but I'm hooked.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm glad you discovered this and excited to compare notes with you on it! :D As I say, I'm a big fan of DS, and though I haven't thought about it for awhile, a few years ago I was on quite an extended binge watching it. I started off with the very first B&W episodes when Vickie first arrives in Collinsport and progressed on up through the appearance of Barnabas and on up into the color era a ways.

I have to say that I prefer the early episodes for their subtle, dark, mysterious nature. Later on, when they started throwing in all kinds of monsters right and left, it got a little silly and I lost interest (though it took awhile for that to happen). I may continue on with those at some point, regardless.

My favorite characters are probably Elizabeth, Roger, Barnabas (of course), Vickie (whom I have a serious crush on), Maggie Evans (whom I also have a crush on), and Burke Devlin. Actually, my favorite "character" is probably Collinwood, that fascinating, massive, dark shadowy place. :)

Yes, the acting is over the top (and with frequent bloopers—it was recorded in one go every day), with scripts that were obviously produced in a rush from day to day. And the plot can be incredibly slow-moving—which my wife complained about when we were watching it together; I don't mind, though, and kind of like that aspect. It's the atmosphere of the show that's great, as you pointed out. It's a show that really does capture the imagination, doesn't it?

So tell me a little of what you've seen so far. What's happening?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 pm
At this very moment, they are in the drawing room, and Roger is questioning Victoria on how much she told Burke and what he said about the family. I love how it picks up right where we left off, and Victoria's braveness. You like her character right away, and she is ready for a challenge. I really like the amiable nature of the blonde daughter... I forgot her name already. 😕 oh, and I recognized Burke, though I had to search IMDB as to what I knew him from. He's Kitty's husband from Dharma and Greg!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I remember that scene.
Kitty wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm
donnie wrote:
I recognized Burke, though I had to search IMDB as to what I knew him from. He's Kitty's husband from Dharma and Greg!
Yes! That's right, I had forgotten that. There were two actors who played Burke. I liked this first one better. There were also two Pops (Maggie's father)—don't know if you've gotten that far yet.

Carolyn Stoddard is the blonde.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm
Yes, I remember that scene.
Kitty wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm
donnie wrote:
I recognized Burke, though I had to search IMDB as to what I knew him from. He's Kitty's husband from Dharma and Greg!
Yes! That's right, I had forgotten that. There were two actors who played Burke. I liked this first one better. There were also two Pops (Maggie's father)—don't know if you've gotten that far yet.

Carolyn Stoddard is the blonde.
I had to think for a sec who Maggie was. Pops showed up once so far.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, she's only a very minor character at first. Her appearance also changes after the first few episodes (hair style, color).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Yes, she's only a very minor character at first. Her appearance also changes after the first few episodes (hair style, color).
Actually, it was Malloy, not pops, that was there. I haven't seen pops yet.