Car 54, Where Are You?

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Car 54, Where Are You?

Post by Kitty »

I didn't know anything about this show before I watched an episode today. I didn't know it was Fred Gwynne who played in this. Even Al Lewis, who played Grandpa Munster was in the show! I don't know if Al was a regular character, since I've only seen this one episode, but I thought it was pretty cool that they'd worked in another show together.

The episode on topic today is the 1962 S2E1, entitled Hail to the Chief.

The pair is selected to drive the president (JFK) to the UN, but Fred Gwynne's character has a panic attack every time the word President is mentioned. Anyway, in the end they had to have secret service agents drive the president, because they couldn't pull it off.

I probably won't watch more of these, but it was very interesting seeing a young Fred Gwynn and Al Lewis not in makeup. I think that if this was on TV land in the late 90s/early 2000s, I would have liked it. I used to love The Munsters, but can't really watch many shows that have a constant laugh track anymore. I think old time radio has spoiled me in that department.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Car 54, Where Are You?

Post by donnie »

This was a pretty funny show. I seen a bunch of the episodes. (Maybe most—I don't think it ran very long.) The characters, especially Toody and Muldoon, are very exaggerated and colorful, almost like caricatures.

One unique thing about that show: a lot of the scripts have a plot predicament that starts off small, then begins to balloon, involving more and more people and getting more and more out of hand until it reaches ridiculous proportions. Those are kind of fun to watch.

My favorite episode is the Boom, Boom, Boom one starring Jan Murray. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9DfDoQ3LU

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Officer Leo Schnauser, Al Lewis is a regular cast member. This show was a huge family favorite of ours.

I still enjoy The Munsters, but man I sure know what you mean about the annoying laugh tracks.
I really loved and still do The Adams Family. I can't think of one show without thinking about the other one.

I'm starting (ha! starting?!) to feel like an old geezer, I remember all of the classic TV shows when they were new and fresh.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:12 am
I remember all of the classic TV shows when they were new and fresh.
I think that's awesome!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)