The Adventures of Superman

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

The Adventures of Superman

Post by Kitty »

First of all, I'd like to say that I had no idea how early a television show this was! It apparently debuted in December 1952 and lasted until 1958. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was a show from the 1950s, but I thought it would have debuted a few years later. Sorry if I sound silly, but this idea struck me.

The episode I watched was The Clown Who Cried, a S1E16 from 1954. It's super (no pun intended) cute, in my opinion, and George Reeves is adorable as a cheeky Clark Kent/Superman. I liked the situations he had to create to make an excuse to scurry off to change into his uniform. In this case, he drops his glasses and stomps on them, making Lois have to go back to the office to get his spare. The other excuse that he made was during a telethon to raise money for underpriviledged children. He says he's starving, and is going to go out for a bite to eat, but all the time we see someone sitting inside the door eating a sandwich. Turns out he'd asked a policeman to sit in his place while he "watches the show" in the audience.

Lois and Clark are at a carnival, and they ask a famous clown to be a performer on their telethon tomorrow (talk about last minute!) but an old partner of the clown was in the tent to ask for money. Dollar signs are in the old partner's eyes, because he knocks the famous clown out and impersonates him, planning to steal the money that was raised. (But why was there piles of cash sitting out, anyway? Did the pledgers teleport the cash through the phone? Some kind of magic is in play!! :lol:)
Of course, Superman saves the day, and we have a happy ending.

It's a simple show, of course, but it's got charm, and it's cute!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: The Adventures of Superman

Post by Kitty »

This next episode that I watched was S2E17 entitled The Boy Who Hated Superman, from 1954.

The boy in question looks like he's 20. :lol: One who is familiar with the show shouldn't be surprised, as Jimmy is also referred to as a kid. I guess anyone under 40 is referred to as a child!

A boy moves in with Clark Kent to find out what kind of info he has on his uncle, who has been arrested for robbery.

I am really liking this strange world where Superman is a celebrity, and no one ever takes their suit jackets off, even when at home. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Look up in the sky, it's a bird,it's a plane, no it's Superman, able to leap tall building in a single bound, faster that a speeding bullet, that's from memory, but then the rest of it fades away.

I'm glad you discovered Superman, it's like a time capsule of a simpler time that's for sure. Men hardly ever were out of suits in the 50'sTV shows. I still can't believe all Clark Kent had to do was put on or take of his glasses and nobody could tell he was really Clark Kent/Superman. I guess clothes do make the man, or Superman.

Kitty are you aware of all the mystery surrounding George Reeves death ? was it suicide or murder.

Was Superman murdered

The link below has a lot going for it, there was a movie made about the death of George Reeves, starring Ben Affleck, we both liked the movie. I will say suicide seems the least likely and fishiest answer. Haven't seem the film for 14 years, but I do seem to recall it certainly showed the seedier side of Hollywood.

Hollywoodland 2006
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's too bad! No, I didn't know about that.