The Lawrence Welk Show

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

The Lawrence Welk Show

Post by Kitty »

Here is the 1972 Thanksgiving show that I am watching right now!

https://youtu.be/-7NhG2KIdi8
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: The Lawrence Welk Show

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm
By the way, I'm finished watch the LW Thanksgiving show, and ready for your comments. :D I enjoyed it, though two or three of the numbers were a little on the bizarre side. :)

Ok, so I know he didn't mean anything insulting by it, but he totally just introduced the tap dancer as being 'a credit to his race'.

The performance for "That's Amore" is awkward. She's flirting with the guys at the table, but the girls they are like "no problem, this is totally normal!" It was beautifully sung, though!

I liked the Sandy and Sally performance.

The Loch Lomond performance was so silly!

It's glaring how the entertainment industry portrayed foreigners as weird caricatures rather than having rich culture.

The modern parts with the couple in their house was kind of interesting. I had never heard of Sally Flynn or Clay Hart. (Googling the names, Clay Hart will autocorrect on my phone to Clay Heart, and images of hearts made of clay pop up in the results. :lol:) They're terribly acted and the lines are atrociously delivered. I didn't believe a word they were saying. 😕🙂

I also noticed another glaring fact: no young people in the audience whatsoever. Everyone dancing must have been at least 75. I suppose these are the people who grew up with Welk; the same fans that he'd always had.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for your thoughts! :D
Kitty wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 pm
Ok, so I know he didn't mean anything insulting by it, but he totally just introduced the tap dancer as being 'a credit to his race'.
Yep. That was pretty cringe-worthy. :roll:
Kitty wrote:
I liked the Sandy and Sally performance.
I liked their voices together, but I have never been able to stand that song! :x :)
Kitty wrote:
The Loch Lomond performance was so silly!
Yes, that was not the high point of the show. :lol: The dancing was good, but they could have omitted the skit. Especially since it's kind of odd to see the "old" decrepit men tottering on canes suddenly break into energetic highland dancing.

Another bizarre thing was the lyrics to the very first song. (What's more American than toothpaste??
Kitty wrote:
It's glaring how the entertainment industry portrayed foreigners as weird caricatures rather than having rich culture.
Yes, everything is a stereotype. You're right, that's a characteristic of the entertainment industry at large.
Kitty wrote:
The modern parts with the couple in their house was kind of interesting. I had never heard of Sally Flynn or Clay Hart. (Googling the names, Clay Hart will autocorrect on my phone to Clay Heart, and images of hearts made of clay pop up in the results. :lol:)
:lol: Good old technology. Clay Hart was a fixture on the Welk show for quite a while. I've seen him lots. He was the resident "country" style singer, and was featured in a number on almost every show.

Sally Flynn I'd never actually heard of. At first, I just assumed that was Clay's wife helping him host the show, not realizing she'd also been on it at one point. She must have been on it for just a fairly short while.
Kitty wrote:
They're terribly acted and the lines are atrociously delivered. I didn't believe a word they were saying. 😕🙂
Oh, I think they were sincere, though those lines do sound kind of awkwardly delivered and forced at times. There was also a little too much of Clay and Sally, I thought. This is one of those re-packaged reruns they used to show on Public TV stations, each one hosted by former cast member(s).
Kitty wrote:
I also noticed another glaring fact: no young people in the audience whatsoever. Everyone dancing must have been at least 75. I suppose these are the people who grew up with Welk; the same fans that he'd always had.
Yes, that show always drew a primarily older audience. Sometimes you'll see a few younger and middle aged persons in the audience, but it's definitely mostly the older set.

One thing about the Welk show, although it could be really corny at times, they did have some real talent. And the people are genuinely nice and pleasant. Usually the band as a whole is featured more, with more of a concentration on the big band music.

Overall, I'd say this particular show was fairly good, but not one of the best I've seen. I guess my favorite part was Guy and Ralna singing the Edelweiss duet. That song always gets me. I also like Lawrence playing the accordion with Joe Feeney doing the Irish medley. They seemed to be having such a good time. And Bob Ralston's piano solo was great, also.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 pm

Another bizarre thing was the lyrics to the very first song. (What's more American than toothpaste??
I forgot to comment on that one! A few things they said there were pretty strange! :lol:
donnie wrote:
This is one of those re-packaged reruns they used to show on Public TV stations, each one hosted by former cast member(s).
Yes. Actually, I'd recorded it from PBS on my tv recorder because I was curious. I thought it was interesting that they said they lived in Cocoa Beach. I was glad it was on YouTube to share. I'm not always that lucky.

Repackaged shows aren't always that great. They do that for the Ed Sullivan Show on the Decades channel, and I can't stand watching it because it's not original.
donnie wrote:
I guess my favorite part was Guy and Ralna singing the Edelweiss duet.
That one was definitely a memorable part of the show. I never fail to think of The Sound of Music when I hear that song.

donnie

Post by donnie »

A nice rendition of Eres Tú by Anacani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCgDxs4JeM

donnie

Post by donnie »

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is a pretty neat little song. The little boy looks a little embarrassed to be kissed on TV :).

Clay Hart "Marvelous Toy" from the 1972 Christmas show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBWWDdorio

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm sitting here with happy tears! The first time I ever heard this song was when I was a teen.... Loved it so much, and it took a bit of digging to find out what the song was and who it was. The version I'd heard on the radio was Peter Paul and Mary. Thanks so much for posting.

Yes, he was kind if hesitant to kiss dad on screen lol

donnie

Post by donnie »

Oh, wow! I'm glad it brought back memories for you! :D This is the first time I'd ever heard it, oddly.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm watching the Christmas special right now. I had it set to record on my Tablo. 🙂