Drop in and watch a Biograph :)

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
donnie

Drop in and watch a Biograph :)

Post by donnie »

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to Biograph shorts. I'm going to post a few favorites here, one at a time. Check it out when you have time—I'd love to see your comments. Or if it's one you've seen and remember, tell me whether you like it, and why.

This is The Sunbeam, 1912. I love the performance of Claire McDowell in this one. :)
(I linked this copy with Russian subs because of the score.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbf1b5Op8e8

BettyLouSpence

Re: Drop in and watch a Biograph :)

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Great thread idea! I've seen The Sunbeam before, but not with this particular score. Do you know who it's by?
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: Drop in and watch a Biograph :)

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 pm
Great thread idea! I've seen The Sunbeam before, but not with this particular score. Do you know who it's by?
It's the score that's on the Kino Biograph Shorts Special Edition DVD. From the back of the case: "New musical settings compiled and arranged by Robert Israel / Performed by the Biograph Quartet."

I guess this quartet is an ad hoc group gotten up for the project. Great scores on all the shorts in the set, though. Robert Israel always does an excellent job, whether actually composing the score, or as in this case, apparently assembling it from pre-existing material.