Modern Silent Film

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Modern Silent Film

Post by Kitty »

Is there room for this type of thimg on our forum?
OF COURSE THERE IS!
The Book Witch (2018) in the style of a 1905 silent flm starring Karolina and her sister.
https://youtu.be/wMuQTFETyyY
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Modern Silent Film

Post by donnie »

I like that! :D

It’s amazing, after looking at it twice, exactly how well they captured so many elements of early silents. They imitated perfectly the vignetting, projection speed anamoly, and accidental missing frames—as well as the Meliés-like trick shots. Also, the exaggerated stage-acting gestures.

I also noticed some things that specifically resemble the early Edisons: The distant, fixed camera that again gives it that stage play-being-filmed appearance; and strange lack of expected reaction to magical happenings—i.e., the woman on the left after being “witched” off the bench, simply gets back up, sits back down, and resumes reading. :lol: (Well, that’s in some of the French early shorts, too.)

The music is perfect, too. Really well-done for a modern silent. They should do some more!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:52 pm
The music is perfect, too. Really well-done for a modern silent. They should do some more!
I'm glad you liked this! They might have. I'll post them if so. I'm in the process of working my way through all her videos, and am learning a lot about vintage fashion.

This was perfect, and if it weren't for the fact that it is obviously new, (crisp digital picture) I'd have thought it really was an authentic silent.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:13 pm
This was perfect, and if it weren't for the fact that it is obviously new, (crisp digital picture) I'd have thought it really was an authentic silent.
I've seen some modern silent re-creations where they apply a filter that digitally creates the vertical wear lines you see in old prints. (Know what I'm talking about? I don't know the term for it.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 pm
Kitty wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:13 pm
I've seen some modern silent re-creations where they apply a filter that digitally creates the vertical wear lines you see in old prints. (Know what I'm talking about? I don't know the term for it.)
I know what you're talking about, but it never looks real in my opinion.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm
I know what you're talking about, but it never looks real in my opinion.
Sometimes I think it looks pretty realistic, if not overdone. But come to think of it, I don't know as it would add anything to this.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I have an editing program with an "old movie" filter that can add vertical scratch lines, judder, flicker, and sepia tone to a video in adjustable degrees. (I notice some judder and dust specks on this video.) But it is important not to overdo those things. This is totally believable as a "restored" 1905 film.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

After reading that, I poked around in iMovie (which is the default Mac video editor I use), and did find some similar filters, though less sophisticated than yours in that they are not adjustable for specific effect and degree. And no judder. (Speaking of which, I learned a new word. :))

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

That was a lot of fun, reminds me of stuff we used to do with the old movie camera my grandpa had in the 1950-60s.

Anyway those gals did a good job, totally looked like and old silent film clip.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I had no idea that Karolina did short silents like this! I was aware that she'd done some student films and had seen one that she featured on her channel, but I didn't know about this! She and her sister did a good job here.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV