Edward Everett Horton Kickstarter

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
donnie

Edward Everett Horton Kickstarter

Post by donnie »

Ben Model and Undercrank Productions are at it again, this time beginning work on a dvd containing eight of Horton's comedy shorts. If you're not familiar with Horton's name, you'll instantly recognize his distinctive voice from his talkie roles (well probably, depending what you've seen)—of which, see video below. I wasn't aware he had done silents, but he certainly had.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... vd-project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mds_9iWdft8

BettyLouSpence

Re: Edward Everett Horton Kickstarter

Post by BettyLouSpence »

What a coincidence, I had just seen him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (bit part though) :) He played the lead in the Baby Peggy silent Helen's Babies, where his love interest was Clara Bow.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

I didn't realize he was in either of those! It's been a long time since I've seen Mad—need to watch that again. But it's so darn long!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 pm
What a coincidence, I had just seen him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (bit part though) :) He played the lead in the Baby Peggy silent Helen's Babies, where his love interest was Clara Bow.
I forgot there was a silent film of that. I have an antique book with the title --- I haven't read it yet, though!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I'd tell you how many movies he was in, but I can't count that high. He brought a lot to any movie he was in.
He had a good meaty part in Lost Horizon 1937, it won Best Picture in 1938 and rightly so!

I just read he was in Ruggles of Red Gap made in 1923 and it's a lost film. :( Darn Darn Darn.

That's a movie I'd give my eye teeth to see. It's been brought to the screen 4 times, in 1935 with Charles Laughton playing Ruggles. And it was remade in 1950 and re-titled Fancy Pants, it starred Bob Hope in the "Ruggles" role, the character was renamed as Humphrey and the female lead of the movie was his often times co-star Lucille Ball.

Ruggles of Red Gap/Fancy Pants is about an English valet who is brought to the American west by a rich, but not very classy family, basically to let them put on airs.

There is an even older version of the story, Ruggles of Red Gap 1918.

Oh jeez, back to Edward Everett Horton, he also was great in Arsenic and Old Lace. Nobody was a better second fiddle that Edward Everett Horton.
Last edited by Mrs. Danvers on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interesting info! Ruggles must be a good story. :) Maybe the Horton version will turn up some day; Ben has run across some of his material thought previously lost since he started working on the project.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:52 pm
Interesting info! Ruggles must be a good story. :) Maybe the Horton version will turn up some day; Ben has run across some of his material thought previously lost since he started working on the project.
That would be something. I was actually astounded when I looked at E E Horton's filmography.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This adds nothing to this thread, but I have to share that every time I see this name, I think of Ed Norton.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 am
This adds nothing to this thread, but I have to share that every time I see this name, I think of Ed Norton.
I can understand that connection and I thank you for mentioning Ed Norton, I absolutely love The Honeymooners and it made me smile just thinking about Ed and Ralph.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:36 am
Kitty wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 am
I can understand that connection and I thank you for mentioning Ed Norton, I absolutely love The Honeymooners and it made me smile just thinking about Ed and Ralph.
Aww! That's so nice.