George Eastman Museum Nitrate Vault Tour!

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
BettyLouSpence

George Eastman Museum Nitrate Vault Tour!

Post by BettyLouSpence »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qcDoWau0EU&t=14s

In this video from April, we're taken on a tour through the Louis B. Mayer Conservation Center, and we get to see the nitrate vaults. Just think of all the rare, possibly never before seen films! I'd be like a kid in a candy store if I ever visited here in person. I'm practically drooling seeing all those cans :P
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: George Eastman Museum Nitrate Vault Tour!

Post by donnie »

Interesting! I'm glad they take such care in the storage of those films. Wouldn't that be a fascinating career to have, working with those films?

I'm a little surprised at the setup for examining the footage with just a lightbox and a manual loupe. I thought maybe they'd have a special device the film could be fed into and enlarged and inspected more easily.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 pm
Interesting! I'm glad they take such care in the storage of those films. Wouldn't that be a fascinating career to have, working with those films?
Yes! I was thinking the same thing watching similar videos. That'd be such a cool career.
I'm a little surprised at the setup for examining the footage with just a lightbox and a manual loupe. I thought maybe they'd have a special device the film could be fed into and enlarged and inspected more easily.
It may be that that set up is gentler on older, more fragile films?

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 pm
donnie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 pm
Yes! I was thinking the same thing watching similar videos. That'd be such a cool career.
I think any kind of art conservation would be a fascinating area, but especially these films; it would definitely be a labor of love. I have a book by Ralph Mayer, The Artist's Handbook that describes some of the techniques of painting conservation, and that's an area it seems I'd really enjoy working in also.
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 pm
It may be that that set up is gentler on older, more fragile films?
Yes, I'm sure that's probably it.

Years ago on TCM I saw an interesting documentary about the race to save films that were rapidly decomposing. I'm thinking the title may have been The Race to Save 100 Years or something of that nature. I remember they went into the vaults of one of the major studios (and weren't, I believe, permitted to say which one!) and it was really horrendous how those films had been left to fall apart. That's what heartened me to see the facility and care taken at Eastman.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:07 pm
I think any kind of art conservation would be a fascinating area, but especially these films; it would definitely be a labor of love. I have a book by Ralph Mayer, The Artist's Handbook that describes some of the techniques of painting conservation, and that's an area it seems I'd really enjoy working in also.
That book sounds so interesting. Art conservation in general is not easy by any means but when it comes to painting conservation I imagine it's very tricky to keep the integrity of the original work when cleaning it up.

Tangentially related to art restoration: the British Museum's YouTube channel uploaded a series of videos detailing the extensive, painstaking restoration of the Vulture Peak tapestry depicting the Buddha. The tapestry dates from the Tang dynasty (618-907) so extreme care had to be taken. It's a fascinating process.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11

Years ago on TCM I saw an interesting documentary about the race to save films that were rapidly decomposing. I'm thinking the title may have been The Race to Save 100 Years or something of that nature. I remember they went into the vaults of one of the major studios (and weren't, I believe, permitted to say which one!) and it was really horrendous how those films had been left to fall apart. That's what heartened me to see the facility and care taken at Eastman.
blinks Wow. What a sad sight. :cry:

I can't remember which channel uploaded it (possibly George Eastman Museum or MoMA?) but examples of films that were too far gone were shown, which was painful to see. The titles of the decayed films weren't given—likely unable to be identified—so I couldn't help but wonder if they could've been reels from one of our most sought after lost films. The thought of an entire vault with films left to languish makes me sad.

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 pm
Tangentially related to art restoration: the British Museum's YouTube channel uploaded a series of videos detailing the extensive, painstaking restoration of the Vulture Peak tapestry depicting the Buddha. The tapestry dates from the Tang dynasty (618-907) so extreme care had to be taken. It's a fascinating process./url]
I watched some bits of each part to get an idea of what they were doing. That's really interesting. Such intricate and time-consuming work, and also relying so heavily on skill and science and experience and judgment combined. I'll bet they really have an emotional attachment to that tapestry by the time they're finished!
[/quote]