Silent Features

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Silent Features

Post by Kitty »

I don't remember if I've seen Speedy, but I remember loving Safety Last. It's been a while --- is that where he has a job in a department store? If so, that scene is more true than people who haven't worked in a department store realize. 😂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:29 pm
I don't remember if I've seen Speedy, but I remember loving Safety Last. It's been a while --- is that where he has a job in a department store? If so, that scene is more true than people who haven't worked in a department store realize. 😂
Yes, that's the one. :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ow! That looks like it hurts!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 am
Yes, I watched it on YouTube. The version I watched had a score that sounded nice, but was a live piece completely unrelated to the film. Unfortunately, halfway through it ends and you can hear an audience applauding, and then the next piece begins.

Luckily, I've found another upload on YouTube which not only doesn't have this problem and has a lovely orchestral score that matches the picture, but is actually in a much better quality than the one I watched (be sure to set it to 720p) along with tinted scenes - so looks like I'll be rewatching for a third time!
Ok, I finally got around to watching this. What a delightful film! The dream sequence was unique and very touching—I did not expect anything so poetic after the first part of the film, which was basically just a string of cute comedic moments. (Gwen's literal interpretations were very amusing, especially the "two-face." :D ) The ending was very satisfying.

Mary Pickford is always excellent in anything she's in. Hard to believe she was about 25 when that was made, isn't it? And yes, the print and score were indeed excellent, too. Thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for posting it!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I told you you'd love it!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Just finished watching Grandma's Boy (1922) with Harold Lloyd and Mildred Davis. Omg I loved it. The ending was so sweet and uplifting. Anna Townsend was great as the grandma. "5 reels of joy" is an apt descriptor for this film!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes! Isn't it great? So glad you enjoyed it. :D Harold Lloyd is my favorite silent comedian of them all.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I binged some more Lloyd features over the last couple days. In order: The Kid Brother (1927), For Heaven's Sake (1926), The Freshman (1925), Why Worry? (1923), and Doctor Jack (1922).

Now, there is a lot I could write about these five, so I'll save my words for some proper reviews to post in the review board. I do want to share my thoughts on The Freshman for now, however. If you haven't seen the film and don't want to be spoiled about anything, I would not read any further.

~

Wow, where do I begin? From the beginning I'm laughing pretty hard (Harold practices his college cheers which his father, in headphones, interprets as radio static). And oh my goodness, that little jig he does, haha :lol: ah, he's so cute in this film! Jobyna Ralston does wonderfully as the more level-headed yet very sweet girl Peggy.

There's also a scene in the film that I found particularly brutal, however. When Harold broke down and cried in Jobyna's lap after finding out that he's the laughing stock of the college, I nearly cried with him seeing the utterly broken hearted look on his face. He was a naive, dorky guy who genuinely wanted to be popular with his classmates and was so kind hearted - I don't want to see him sad! The knife was twisted further - for me and him - when he overheard his "I'm just a regular guy - just step right up and call me Speedy" phrase mocked and he stood up and clutched the doorframe. There's also that shot of his newspaper clipping being blown off the wall by the wind and floating down into the wastebasket - I can only take so much sadness!

Luckily, Jobyna comes to the rescue with a pep-talk to raise Harold's spirits and encourage him to develop his self confidence. We could all use a Jobyna in our lives :)

I'm rambling somewhat, but I hope this conveys my very brief thoughts on this film

Also... I may have a slight crush on Harold now :lol:

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Just watched Children of Divorce (1927) with Clara Bow, Gary Cooper, and Esther Ralston. This is a film I've been itching to see for nearly a decade now, and that desire has finally been realized.

I don't want to spoil anything, especially the ending, so I'll just say that it's a romantic drama directed by Frank Lloyd and an uncredited Josef von Sternberg. It's a love triangle of sorts between the three stars, who are all "children of divorce" and things get, um, complicated.

The camerawork is amazing. Oh. My. God. There's a masterful use of lighting that resulted in absolutely gorgeous shots that took my breath away. There are some wonderful shots of Clara in this. She plays a role atypical of the sexy jazz baby roles she was too often restricted to - not that she wasn't fun in those, but c'mon Paramount, let her sink her teeth into some beefy roles every now and then...

Gary Cooper looks... pretty, made up as a high society man, lol, but I don't think he looks quite as ridiculous as some reviewers have said. I don't know if I've seen Esther Ralston in other roles before, but she's a very fine actress.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (600.07 KiB) Viewed 3886 times