Beautiful Magazine Covers

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
BettyLouSpence

Re: Beautiful Magazine Covers

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Tell me about it! I went as far as to give my bangs a light trim, they were just getting too long and I couldn't wait any longer. I botched them a bit, but they've since grown enough to hide that fact.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Here's a beautiful portrait of Katherine MacDonald on the cover of the July 1921 issue of Motion Picture Classic -

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love your contributions! This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Bebe Daniels on the cover of Motion Picture Classic, December 1920 -

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow, that's the most striking one I've seen yet! What beautiful artwork—the colors, values, composition, pose, everything comes together in that one. And that had to have been inspired by WCYW, don't you think?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was! Btw, I took a screenshot of the Motion Picture Classic magazine that's featured in the film, and I haven't been able to find the exact issue.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (217.81 KiB) Viewed 4065 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Cool! Let us know if you identify it.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

That's Alice Joyce on the cover from the Why Change Your Wife? screencap. That same portrait is used on this sheet music cover, from Greta de Groat's Alice Joyce picture gallery. I was scrolling through there after linking to the Alice Joyce page in the Silent Features thread and once I saw the sheet music cover I thought, "hey, I've seen that before...!" :)

There are two Motion Picture Classic covers featuring Alice in the image gallery but they aren't the issue depicted in WCYW. Googling "alice joyce motion picture classic" brought me nothing. I'm wondering if it was even an actual magazine issue, and not a prop made especially for the film.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Good detective work! Judging from that, I'll bet it was a prop—though I wonder why they'd have gone to the trouble...

On a (distantly) related subject, here in my area, there has been a rash of counterfeit money showing up at local businesses. Somebody got hold of a bunch of phony $100 bills that are made up for use by movie studios. They have "For Motion Picture Use Only" plainly on them, but apparently businesses aren't examining the bills as they normally would, due to the virus. (Bet they will now, though. :) )
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.34.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.34.23 AM.png (434.66 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ha-Ha-Ha! Wow! I heard those described --- about a year ago they warned us about these, but this is the first time I've seen the picture. They said there was a ridiculous image of Ben on it. They were right! :lol:

Regarding the Alice Joyce magazine cover, I really don't know why they'd go through all that trouble to fake a real publication. The sheet music you picture is from 1919. I have gone through all the available Motion Picture Classics, but unfortunately there are 4 issues at the end of 1919 that are not digitized. Could possibly be one of those. It can't be from 1920, because it seems that they went up to 25 cents after 1919, and this issue says 20 cents.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)