Nino Tempo and April Stevens

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: Nino Tempo and April Stevens

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 am

Usually what we got was something disastrous like this.
Oh, man. That is pretty bad, indeed. :lol:

I love Pet Clark, by the way.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

donnie wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Oh, man. That is pretty bad, indeed. :lol:

I love Pet Clark, by the way.
Me too! :db:

The worst part is when Bing starts going "pum pum pum pum" as if he thinks he's doing The Little Drummer Boy. :? :lol:
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 am
The worst part is when Bing starts going "pum pum pum pum" as if he thinks he's doing The Little Drummer Boy. :? :lol:
I didn't make it that far. I'll take your word for it. ;)
Edit: Ok, morbid curiosity got the better of me. :shock: I see what you mean. :roll:

You know, the thing about this recording is that not only is the song/artist combination awful, but it sounds as if Bing can't even sing here. I never heard him in any song where his voice wasn't splendid—until now. :|

dachshundonstilts

Yeah, the whole thing makes me wonder if he even wanted to sing that song, or if somebody twisted his arm to do it.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never liked this song, really, and the sound quality is actually terrible. Poor Bing, I wonder who made him do this song? Haha and The Little Drummer Boy is my least favorite Christmas song ever recorded, so that doesn't do it any favors.:lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Man! :shock: On the topic of pre-rock artists venturing into the genre, I was reminded of the time Mae West recorded this campy rendition of Light My Fire:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNOwCzpq3E
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm
Yeah, the whole thing makes me wonder if he even wanted to sing that song, or if somebody twisted his arm to do it.
"Bing! We're gonna need you to do a cover of Hey Jude for this album, and we're gonna call the album Hey Bing! Ha! Isn't that clever?"

"Um, no thanks. I really don't wanna do this."

"But it's what's 'in' right now! We have to keep up with the times if we wanna... (checks hip-tionary) ...stay groovy!"

"sigh ...okay..."
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

dachshundonstilts

Kitty wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:54 pm
I've never liked this song, really, and the sound quality is actually terrible. Poor Bing, I wonder who made him do this song? Haha and The Little Drummer Boy is my least favorite Christmas song ever recorded, so that doesn't do it any favors.:lol:
Yeah, Little Drummer Boy is possibly my least favorite too. The only versions I can stand are Bing's (only because it reminds me of my childhood) and Vince Guaraldi's jazz arrangement called "My Little Drum."

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Hey, that's probably about the way the actual conversation went. And if they wanted to do Beatles, did they have to pick that one? (Although come to think of it, I don't know what an option would have been.)

The Mae West...oh my goodness... I'm afraid that one's going to come to me in my dreams tonight. :shock:

And "checks hip-tionary"—that's a good one. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:26 pm
"Bing! We're gonna need you to do a cover of Hey Jude for this album, and we're gonna call the album Hey Bing! Ha! Isn't that clever?"

"Um, no thanks. I really don't wanna do this."

"But it's what's 'in' right now! We have to keep up with the times if we wanna... (checks hip-tionary) ...stay groovy!"

"sigh ...okay..."
:lol: Hey, that's probably about the way the actual conversation went. And if they wanted to do Beatles, did they have to pick that one? (Although come to think of it, I don't know what an option would have been.)

The Mae West...oh my goodness... I'm afraid that one's going to come to me in my dreams tonight. :shock:

And "checks hip-tionary"—that's a good one. :lol:

dachshundonstilts

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Man! :shock: On the topic of pre-rock artists venturing into the genre, I was reminded of the time Mae West recorded this campy rendition of Light My Fire:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNOwCzpq3E
Oh, that is achingly bad! Even more ill-advised than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LSoQonmMSg

And I normally like Julie London.