Great Folk Singers

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Great Folk Singers

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 pm
Judy Henske's song High Flying Bird from 1964. I love how husky her voice is. Jefferson Airplane would cover this one just two years later on their debut album.
This song is really something. I have never heard it, not even the Jefferson Airplane cover. Haunting!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:38 pm
Guess it's stretching it to call this folk singing, but I ran across this song lately and love it. (By the way, I was listening to Kathy Smith's Blackbird and the Pearl lately—I *love* that one—and that title is what reminded me of this song by Rumer.)
Ok, now THAT is lovely! I have never heard of Rumer, so I looked her up. People compare her to Karen Carpenter, but Rumer, in my opinion, is leaps and bounds better than her. Her voice is clear, beautiful, fresh! I really like it, can you tell?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Glad you like it! Yes, I was entranced by the song and by her voice, which is beautiful indeed! I wouldn't put her past K.C., but she's up there!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:40 am
I'm not hugely into the folk genre, but my go-to singer would be Mary Hopkin. This is the song that made me fall in love with her voice, a cover of Tom Paxton's "How Come the Sun."
I like it!!! I had never heard this song, either. It's catchy!

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like it, too. Thanks for posting, Dachshund.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is another folk combo with a great sound—The Seekers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I love the Seekers! My favorite is this one, which was the number one record of 1965 in the UK and made the top 5 in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmactMIhrRM
Last edited by dachshundonstilts on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I really like that one! I can see why it was a hit.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

How about the Kingston Trio? I love their early stuff, from the Dave Guard era. "Fast Freight" is pretty impressive, the way the guitars and voices together conjure the sound of a passing train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-P9EkU8kg0
Last edited by dachshundonstilts on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

normabanana1800

Post by normabanana1800 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=4vu_vSX5kY4
Hadyn Quartet-Sweet Adeline
This is one of my favorite 1900s songs.
Sweet and romantic.