60s Music

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
BettyLouSpence

Re: 60s Music

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:05 pm
Oh dear, found this from 1968, a live performance somewhere in Europe, it seems so affectatious to me now, Morrison's performance, like I'm too sexy and I know it.

https://youtu.be/6O6x_m4zvFs
Ha! I have the Eagle Rock DVD of this concert. A late 80s interview with Grace Slick and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane is shown before getting into the songs; the Airplane joined the Doors on their '68 European tour in August - September 1968. They played in Hamburg, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I'm not sure in which city this performance took place.

Morrison climbed on stage during JA's set and spun around and around during a performance of Plastic Fantastic Lover, finally collapsing during the song. He was actually taken to the hospital because he had taken copious amounts of drugs (like, enough to surprise even the Airplane) on the streets of Amsterdam beforehand, and now there was no lead singer when the time came for the Doors to perform. So keyboardist Ray Manzarek took over, and in the interview Grace Slick expressed how amazing Manzarek was in being able to handle the vocals and keyboards on the fly and successfully entertaining fans who had mainly come for Morrison... and probably never having done such a thing before.

Jim was one crazy, self destructive dude. But boy was he a rock and roll presence.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:29 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:56 pm
Glad to be of service!
Actual footage of me courtesying:
Pretty dress! You took dancing lessons too, didn't you? :)
:lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:37 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:05 pm
Oh dear, found this from 1968, a live performance somewhere in Europe, it seems so affectatious to me now, Morrison's performance, like I'm too sexy and I know it.

https://youtu.be/6O6x_m4zvFs
Ha! I have the Eagle Rock DVD of this concert. A late 80s interview with Grace Slick and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane is shown before getting into the songs; the Airplane joined the Doors on their '68 European tour in August - September 1968. They played in Hamburg, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I'm not sure in which city this performance took place.

Morrison climbed on stage during JA's set and spun around and around during a performance of Plastic Fantastic Lover, finally collapsing during the song. He was actually taken to the hospital because he had taken copious amounts of drugs (like, enough to surprise even the Airplane) on the streets of Amsterdam beforehand, and now there was no lead singer when the time came for the Doors to perform. So keyboardist Ray Manzarek took over, and in the interview Grace Slick expressed how amazing Manzarek was in being able to handle the vocals and keyboards on the fly and successfully entertaining fans who had mainly come for Morrison... and probably never having done such a thing before.

Jim was one crazy, self destructive dude. But boy was he a rock and roll presence.
That's a good story! too bad Ray Manzarek never sang more.
And it's a wonder Jim Morrison made it to age 27.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love this song, Bus Stop by The Hollies. Have you listened to the lyrics closely? It's really a romantic love story.
https://youtu.be/It75wQ0JypA
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like that song. The lyrics and the music linger in your mind.

One thing that confused me about it, though, is that it's being in a minor key kept me expecting something tragic was going to happen. :shock: I'm glad it didn't. :)

By the way, not sure how often I may be around in the near future—we've got a bad winter storm headed this way, and they're predicting widespread outages. But I guess I'll still have cellular, though very slow.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:29 pm
By the way, not sure how often I may be around in the near future—we've got a bad winter storm headed this way, and they're predicting widespread outages. But I guess I'll still have cellular, though very slow.
Oh, that really sucks. Thanks for telling me, though. I'd be worried if you were gone for a while and I didn't know why.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Chantilly Lace

(Edit 4/21/24 - Broken Link)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

First time I ever heard this song was in the movie Pleasantville! Hanky Panky

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnXFePGGmU&feature=share

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I'd never heard of Norma Tanega before now, but I just had this 1966 song recommended to me on YouTube. I'll definitely be searching out more of her material.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jUZ-Ex1k0
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

Most interesting! I've not heard of her either, but she's obviously a unique artist. I like the unusual rhythms. Strange, dark lyrics. Post anything else interesting you find from her.