OTR Commercials

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: OTR Commercials

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:23 pm
Does this happen to include a Champagne Velvet beer commercial, the kind where they say it's "smyooooooooth"? I've been looking for one of those.
I asked around, and did you know that the company sponsored Boston Blackie? Apparently most people hate that commercial. It garnered some loathing reactions when I asked. :lol:
Anyway, hope this info helped.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 pm
Thanks!
You're welcome!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Does this happen to include a Champagne Velvet beer commercial, the kind where they say it's "smyooooooooth"? I've been looking for one of those.
I asked around, and did you know that the company sponsored Boston Blackie? Apparently most people hate that commercial. It garnered some loathing reactions when I asked. :lol:
:lol: That's funny! I think that ad is hilarious because it's so stupid. I'd learned they sponsored Boston Blackie, but had hunted through some episodes for it with no luck. But thanks for your inquiries!

Maybe people snip out the commercial before posting episodes because they hate it so much. :twisted: :D
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:42 am
Kitty wrote:
dachshundonstilts wrote:
:lol: That's funny! I think that ad is hilarious because it's so stupid. I'd learned they sponsored Boston Blackie, but had hunted through some episodes for it with no luck. But thanks for your inquiries!

Maybe people snip out the commercial before posting episodes because they hate it so much. :twisted: :D
Here you go! Fast forward to about 1:57. It's pretty weird, and not how I thought I would sound.
https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/c ... 1949-03-16

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 am
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Kitty wrote:

Here you go! Fast forward to about 1:57. It's pretty weird, and not how I thought I would sound.
Thank you!
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:31 pm
Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 am
dachshundonstilts wrote:

Thank you!
You're welcome!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Just listened to part 2. I enjoyed them, but I must admit that a few of these commercials are sad to listen to. Reason: they bring out the contrast between a time when Americans seemed to pull together and support each other—and today, when Americans seem all too often to be at each other's throats. :( (Yes, I know this is another verse of a song I've sung before. :roll:)

On a brighter note—well, maybe not that much brighter :)—it's amazing how many products are peddled as beneficial for health, especially toward children (surprisingly), and also amazing how many of those same products were essentially sugar bombs and junk food. :lol: But, that was a day when sugar was considered a health food!

Another observation: have you noticed how many speech patterns are ingrained in commercials of that day and repeated over and over? One I especially notice is a second sentence starting with "Yes." (Example: "Americans know that [product X] is the best you can get. Yes, people all over the country depend on...etc." And the "yes" is usually drawn out—"Yeeees,..." :)

I especially liked the Lucky Strikes tobacco auction one. I think auctioneer chants are fascinating to listen to general, and this one is really smyooooooth... :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:56 pm
Just listened to part 2. I enjoyed them, but I must admit that a few of these commercials are sad to listen to. Reason: they bring out the contrast between a time when Americans seemed to pull together and support each other—and today, when Americans seem all too often to be at each other's throats. :( (Yes, I know this is another verse of a song I've sung before. :roll:)
You know what? I think that in 60 or 70 years, people will watch the commercials and PSAs that they are putting out right now and think the same thing. I have a feeling that it was very much like now, with people who had very contrasting opinions, and if you compare the PSAs from then with the "We're all in this together" PSAs from now, it's really not all that different. Just my 2¢.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:37 pm
donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:56 pm
You know what? I think that in 60 or 70 years, people will watch the commercials and PSAs that they are putting out right now and think the same thing. I have a feeling that it was very much like now, with people who had very contrasting opinions, and if you compare the PSAs from then with the "We're all in this together" PSAs from now, it's really not all that different. Just my 2¢.
You may very well be right, but I don't know... I've just gotten the impression that back in that era, especially around the time of WW II, there really was a strong sense of patriotism, and that people were anxious to work together and do their part in a spirit of good will. I'm sure there were differences of opinion and crankiness, etc., that aren't reflected in the idealistic PSA's....but I can't imagine anything like the sense of bitter division we have today. (I could go into detail here, but it's probably not a good idea... ;) Think election, pandemic....)

As I say, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten, from where I don't know exactly, from a lot of different places, I guess. (Or from my own over-active imagination maybe? Wouldn't be the first time. :lol:)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:45 pm
I'm sure there were differences of opinion and crankiness, etc., that aren't reflected in the idealistic PSA's....but I can't imagine anything like the sense of bitter division we have today. (I could go into detail here, but it's probably not a good idea... ;) Think election, pandemic....)
You make a good point. We don't realize in general that leadership really does play a huge part in the psyche of the masses.
Going back to a more positive spotlight, these are the kind of great reminders of how much better we can be on a personal level, inspiring to think about others instead of "What about me?"

I'm going a tad off topic here, but In One Man's Family, there was a speech about being careful not to pay more than items are worth when things are scarce. This stuff is fascinating, and they don't teach this type of thing in schools.They didn't in mine, at least. If it wasn't for the other mediums that I seeked out my whole life, I'd know nothing about any of that. They dwell forever in schools on egyptian hieroglyphics, for example, and never get to modern day. Really, I think they should start in the modern day and work their way back.

Sorry for the long, half unrelated post. Hope it was mildly interesting. :lol: