The Lone Ranger

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

The Lone Ranger

Post by Kitty »

So someone posted this on the old time radio facebook group, and I was shocked to see that his catchphrase wasn't "Hi-ho, Silver!" It's "Hi-yo, Silver!" I'll repost my reply to the post here.
Screenshot_20210105-114859.jpg
Screenshot_20210105-114859.jpg (369.23 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
I might sound like a dunce announcing here that I did NOT realize that The Lone Ranger says "Hi-yo!" I always thought it was "Hi-ho!" Furthermore, if he HAD said "Hi-ho!" He would have most certainly meant "Heigh-Ho!" which I just learned means "expressing boredom, resignation, or jollity." according to the Oxford dictionary. This put even more light on the fact that the seven dwarves were not just saying a fun little rhyme, but were expressing a kind of resignation about going to work. Funny how little things like that will turn into a snowball effect of enlightenment.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by dachshundonstilts »

"Heigh-ho, everybody!" had been Rudy Vallee's catchphrase since 1928, so that was sort of "taken" for radio purposes.

Curiously, the early scripts for The Lone Ranger had him shouting "Hi-yi!" for a catchphrase. This was deemed unsatisfactory, and it was less than a minute before airtime when they finally worked out "Hi-yo, Silver!"
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I can always remember running around saying Hi-Ho Silver. But not so, it is a misheard lyric! The announcer man is clearly saying Hi-Yo Silver at the end. I loved The Lone Ranger TV show when I was a wee lass.

https://youtu.be/hxIuIxqo2So
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

As a kid I remember seeing some of the color TV episodes where they had the theme song that started "Six Texas Rangers, hi-yo, hi-yo..." and it sounded pretty clear to me then that they weren't singing "hi-ho." But my wife thought it was "hi-ho" until fairly recently.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I guess it's just one of those things that will be forever misquoted, such as "Play it again, Sam," which Ilsa never actually said.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Or in The Wizard of Oz, when the Munchkins are singing the "Lullaby League And Lollipop Guild" song, a lot of people think they are saying the Lollipop Kids.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:24 am
Or in The Wizard of Oz, when the Munchkins are singing the "Lullaby League And Lollipop Guild" song, a lot of people think they are saying the Lollipop Kids.
Right! I know I thought that as a child.