Mama Bloom's Brood

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Mama Bloom's Brood

Post by Kitty »

Fantastic 1930s family comedy/soap of a foreign couple with two daughters in America. I'm not sure what the parents' accent is, (sounds Jewish) but they keep calling it 'the old country'. I've listened to 26 episodes so far. Listen to a few of these 15 minute episodes and tell me what you think. It's an endearing show.

You can download them here to listen.

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Mama_B ... od_Singles
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mama Bloom's Brood

Post by donnie »

I listened to the New Dresses episode. That seems to be a likeable show. :D It reminds me somewhat of the Goldbergs early TV show.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:37 pm
I listened to the New Dresses episode. That seems to be a likeable show. :D It reminds me somewhat of the Goldbergs early TV show.
I think the two are compared often.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

On the way down to St. Simons, I listened to 3 or 4 of these. Really a charming show! :) The show where they were looking for a picnic was especially funny.Just as in The Goldbergs, Mama is really the central character here, isn't she?
Last edited by donnie on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie

Post by donnie »

On the way down to St. Simons, I listened to three or four of these. Really a charming show! :) The episode where they were looking for a picnic spot was especially funny. Just as in The Goldbergs, Mama is really the central character here, isn't she?

I also sampled My Son Jeep, which I'll post about in that thread.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 pm
On the way down to St. Simons, I listened to three or four of these. Really a charming show! :) The episode where they were looking for a picnic spot was especially funny. Just as in The Goldbergs, Mama is really the central character here, isn't she?
She definitely is the central character, and she is always the voice of reason, too. The setting changes a lot by the end from how it is in the beginning. I finished it recently, and will truly miss it.

I'm glad you're listening to some of these shows! It's always more fun to listen with others.