The Couple Next Door

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: The Couple Next Door

Post by Kitty »

I will have to look at that episode. I only vaguely know his name.

How did you feel about the content of the episode? Did you think the parents did the right thing in telling Betsy that she can't have the toy even after her Aunt Effie gave it to her?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, that's hard to say—kind of an odd situation. I'm not sure I'd have had the heart to take it away after the aunt had given it to her; yet I can well see their point as parents wanting her to learn the value of money. It would have helped if Aunt Effie had been clued in a little better to what the parents were trying to do. What do you think?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 pm
Well, that's hard to say—kind of an odd situation. I'm not sure I'd have had the heart to take it away after the aunt had given it to her; yet I can well see their point as parents wanting her to learn the value of money. It would have helped if Aunt Effie had been clued in a little better to what the parents were trying to do. What do you think?
I think that this wasn't the time to teach the child a lesson. I think it was kind of mean to let the daughter be all excited about the toy that Aunt Effie bought her, then steal it from under her, after she'd driven home dreaming about how she'd be using it all the while.

They maybe should have expressed a little displeasure with the situation, as they hinted that they thought Betsy probably coaxed Aunt Effie into buying it for her, but just let it go this one time. After Betsy had gone away, they should have taken Aunt Effie aside and let her know what they'd like her to do next time.

Telling the child that she had to pay Aunt Effie back for the gift was silly, as you know Betsy is going to be bored with the toy long before she pays her back, and, anyway, that wasn't the original deal when she was at the store shopping with her aunt. If her aunt thought she couldn't afford the toy, she shouldn't have bought it for her.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, you have some very good points. It would have probably been fairer and more understanding to not overreact, but instead to later just calmly discuss it with both Betsy and Effie (separately) and maybe set some clearer ground rules for the future—and more importantly explain to them both why.

Yes, the payback scheme probably wasn't the best idea, either. But you know, I got kind of an impression that perhaps beneath Betsy's innocence is a little bit of a sharp operator. ;) Any sign of that in other episodes?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 pm

But you know, I got kind of an impression that perhaps beneath Betsy's innocence is a little bit of a sharp operator. ;) Any sign of that in other episodes?
Well, in a later episode, Betsy does get bored with the toy and *big surprise* doesn't want to pay the money back. They explain that she has to, and she tries to get her best friend to buy the toy from her. Of course, she doesn't want to buy a washing machine that Betsy hasn't been taking care of. So she decides to create a lottery out of it, so other children have a chance to win it. 25 cents each! :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Like I said...

donnie

Post by donnie »

I listened to episode 64. That was a funny one, indeed—especially the conversation with the neighbor near the end. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 pm
I listened to episode 64. That was a funny one, indeed—especially the conversation with the neighbor near the end. :lol:
That was the dye one? Yeah, funny misunderstanding!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one's funny, too. Episode 120.

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... %20Bed.mp3

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, that was a funny one—though I knew what was going to happen. :)