Claudia

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Claudia

Post by Kitty »

I have listened to a few episodes of Claudia, a soap that I am told is complete. It's a pretty cute show about a newly married couple. It is sort of funny, and very telling of the wholesomeness of radio of the era. The couple barely knows anything about each other, and why did they keep having to mention that they had separate beds even though they are on a medium where we don't even see them, and therefore the subject doesn't even enter the listener's mind? 😂 Anyway I'm liking this show so far.

Oh! And for an added bonus, the commercials are left in. It's advertised by Coca Cola 🙂

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Claudia_Singles
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Claudia

Post by donnie »

That sounds like a good one. :-) I'm currently downloading all the episodes.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm
That sounds like a good one. :-) I'm currently downloading all the episodes.
I'm dying to discuss it!! I've listened to 6 episodes at this point, and the situations are so curious that I need to see what you think of it! 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've listened to the first two episodes. I'm confused by the "Audition." Was that like a pilot for the series? And the actor who plays David is different in "Meet the Naughtons," right? Is Claudia also different?

At any rate, the David in the Audition sounds like too much of a first-class grump for anyone to be married to!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, audition was the pilot for the series. The first episode starts all over to the beginning, rather than in the middle.
I didn't notice the difference in voices. Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to that aspect.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 pm
I didn't notice the difference in voices. Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to that aspect.
I could be wrong—that impression may have been due to the poor sound quality of the audition. If it’s the same actor, they must have decided to rewrite him as a nicer, better-humored character.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm reading more about Claudia, and it seems that the man playing David is someone else in the original audition episode! Good listening! In fact, the article mentions that Kathryn Bard, Claudia, was the only one that went on to the other episodes.
The Audition episodes seems to be from a rare 78, hence the bad quality compared to all the other episodes which have beautiful sound quality.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the info. I did have trouble understanding some of the dialogue in the pilot, due both to surface noise and I think to their proximity to the microphone, too.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:07 pm
Thanks for the info. I did have trouble understanding some of the dialogue in the pilot, due both to surface noise and I think to their proximity to the microphone, too.
Don't worry. All the content in the audition episode is in the actual show, word for word. It's pretty much a mash-up of more than one episode in the show, crammed into a 15 minute example record.
Which episode are you on? I'm up to 15. I can wait til you catch up if you want! I had a few comments about the past episodes, but I didn't want to spoil the episodes for you.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm only on #3, so hold the comments. :D Will listen to some more later today.