Jack Benny

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Jack Benny

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:05 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:00 am
I was reading about announcer Don Wilson today, and came across this fun bit of information. There was a famous flub in the January 8 1950 that I'd never heard of until now. Instead of saying 'Drew Pearson', Don said 'Dreer Pooson, and later on, Frank Nelson ad libs a joke on the piggy back of the flub.
https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/c ... 1950-01-08
A classic moment! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not exactly an ad lib, though. According to what I read, the writers called Frank Nelson into a huddle during the show and told him to change his line. When he delivered it, Jack reportedly laughed so hard he fell down and had to crawl over and pull himself back up on the stage curtain.
That's so funny! I think Jack was really easy to make laugh. George Burns mentions multiple times in his books that Jack would literally be on the floor laughing at the stuff he said. I thought it was an exaggeration for comedy's sake, but I'm starting to believe that he was serious!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Re: Jack Benny

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I've seen clips from TV where he wasn't quite on the floor, but was literally doubled over stomping around in a circle.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)