How Did You Discover Old Time Radio?

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

How Did You Discover Old Time Radio?

Post by Kitty »

How did you get into OTR? Me?

Inner Sanctum is what got me into old time radio. When I was a teen, I was flipping through radio stations on my clock radio at midnight, you know the one that was also a CD player. I caught this slightly fuzzy station that played old time radio at night. It didn't always come in, as I think it was broadcasting from Canada, but when it did I got to hear The Whistler, The Shadow, and most importantly Inner Sanctum Mysteries. The narrator's introduction was so delightfully macabre. He was telling us not to be startled by the dead man in the corner, and to carefully step over the body on the floor. I'd never heard anything so gleefully dark, and I was forevermore hooked on old time radio. 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: How Did You Discover Old Time Radio?

Post by donnie »

That's a really nice way to be introduced to it. :D

For myself, I can't really remember. I guess I heard a bit here and there, maybe one or two of the old Jack Benny shows. I've actually not listened to a lot of OTR. But the first thing that really stands out to me The Magic Island. I loved that one. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:45 pm
That's a really nice way to be introduced to it. :D

For myself, I can't really remember. I guess I heard a bit here and there, maybe one or two of the old Jack Benny shows. I've actually not listened to a lot of OTR. But the first thing that really stands out to me The Magic Island. I loved that one. :D
Wasn't that special? And of course good ol' Cinnamon Bear.🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:07 pm
And of course good ol' Cinnamon Bear.🙂
Why, how could I forget about CB?? I actually think of him in a category of his own, I guess. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm
Kitty wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:07 pm
And of course good ol' Cinnamon Bear.🙂
Why, how could I forget about CB?? I actually think of him in a category of his own, I guess. :D
Of course!