Featuring Celebrities

Commercials from old time radio or television.
Kitty

Re: Featuring Celebrities

Post by Kitty »

I'm pretty sure Nick At Nite came first, then TVLand not too long after. I watched Nick At Nite after Snick on Saturdays. Happy Days was always on!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

A bizarre Hefty commercial featuring Jonathan Winters.

https://youtu.be/nKyI4U84R5I
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ad for William F. Buckley's National Review, 1991, featuring Tom Selleck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQgyNrMEiM&t=1s

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cute Lucy/Desi Westinghouse holiday ad from 1958.
Skip to about :42
https://youtu.be/jz-YYbZiWDo

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like that one! :D Almost like a little situation comedy episode wrapped up with the ad. And I'd like to have one of those percolators. :he:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Did you know that Carson had a clothing line? Wonder how long this lasted? Spring 1973

I first saw this watching an episode where Doc and Ed were doing an on the spot advertisement for the fall line. Wish I could find that clip.

https://youtu.be/tFStQ089z3w

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:41 pm
Did you know that Carson had a clothing line? Wonder how long this lasted?
No! Never heard of that. The commercial
Is kind of odd. It must have never taken off.

By the way, last night I was watching an appearance of the Carpenters on The Tonight Show. They did an excellent medley of three or four songs. The information said that was from ‘73, also, but Carson looks slightly older and with a little longer hair than in the commercial—he seems to have more of a late 70s look, so maybe the Carpenters appearance was later.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 pm
Kitty wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:41 pm
Did you know that Carson had a clothing line? Wonder how long this lasted?
No! Never heard of that. The commercial
Is kind of odd. It must have never taken off.
I did a little quick research, and it seems it was relatively short lived, just a few years.

At first, I was kind of inclined to agree that the commercial was odd, but it fits right in with all the other commercials in the programs I'm watching. The 70s sure seemed to have warm vocal tones in every commercial. This stands out glaringly next to the loud commercials that were before and after this era. I also thought that maybe the commercials were so chill because it was on so late at night.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:29 pm
This stands out glaringly next to the loud commercials that were before and after this era.
Yes, some of the ones from that era are almost relaxing to watch.

Noisy, in-your-face commercials... :x :roll: They're especially bad when they have multiple layers of noise, like irritating sound effects overlaid with loud music overlaid with loud yelling. And when there are a dozen of them in a row without a second's break in between...I can't take that long. :(

One thing about a lot of the commercials of that era is that they actually explain calmly why you should buy a product rather than just hitting you over the head with some sort of image. Rant over.
Kitty wrote:
I also thought that maybe the commercials were so chill because it was on so late at night.
Could well be. Also, with those lines about how a man's clothing shouldn't be noticed, I think they were aiming for the good-taste angle.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:45 pm
Kitty wrote:
I also thought that maybe the commercials were so chill because it was on so late at night.
Could well be. Also, with those lines about how a man's clothing shouldn't be noticed, I think they were aiming for the good-taste angle.
That's a great point. Many of the commercials that were on during The Tonight Show seemed to be all about that. From cigars, to luxurious soaps, the only noisy commercials I have noticed were those with full blown jingles like kelloggs commercials.

Like this one I saw last night, as well. https://forum.silentphotoplay.com/viewt ... 859#p22859